Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Stitch Quilting Questions

I have decided to try a big stitch effect on the border of a quilt and wonder whether I need to use pearl cotton in size 8 or 12? Apparently 12 is not so easy to find to buy. Also, do you use a regular embroidery frame, or is there another kind of frame that is more appropriate?
    I see M* is having $2 shipping today and tomorrow, so I want to take advantage of it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Big Stitch Quilting Questions

I use perle cotton size 8 and I like using a quilting hoop. An embroidery hoop may not be strong enough to hold weight of your quilt. If you need an instructional video, look up Sarah Fielke big stitch quilting video. It’s a great video when learning how to big stitch quilt.

Looking forward to seeing your project.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 8 also.. and the quilting hoop. It just makes my quilting easier and Not so strenuous on my hands.

I bought a standing quilting hoop years ago (1998.) from a catalog that I can't remember the name of. sorry. It is quite large and sturdy with or without the stand.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was able to hand quilt, I used Perle 8 for big stitch quilting. I also used a 15" quilting hoop that I was able to use while sitting in my comfy recliner.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use #8 too it is the easiest weight to find and looks great. I just use my regular 12 inch lap quilting hoop. Emb hoop is not strong enough to hold thickness of a quilt and it will keep popping off. You can also go hoopless if you are comfortable with that, I just happen to find a hoop easier. I am awaiting delivery of a new hoop that is 9x15 and can't wait!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers! I'm pretty sure I will do some practicing before I tackle the quilt.