• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Melatonin?

I have never taken it, but the herbal teas just are just not doing it. And they make me have to pee all night. lol There are so many brands! I know you can't give med advice, just throw some names out there so I can look them up
    🌺 Lorie
  • tamsterg7
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Melatonin?

Target has Olly's. Berry flavored gummy drops. Work well and taste great.

Comment

• bubba
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2013

Costco sells them. I talked to the pharmacist there about them and he pointed me in the direction as to which ones to buy. Sadly, they did not work for me. If you don't belong to Costco, ask the pharmacist at your drug store.

We use the OTC sleep aids from Costco. I rarely take them, and when I do, I only take half a pill.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• MHG Winnower
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2015

Melatonin works, but can cause incredible dreaming. If you try it, take the lowest dose.
        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• Monique
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2011

Gravol will work - Dramamine in the US, and it is not addictive is what I was told.

Now I use a muscle relaxer (prescription) on occasion to help me sleep.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• JCY
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2013

When DH took Melatonin, he had nightmares. There are no sleep aids he can take.

When I was younger, during hay fever season, I used to take generic Benadryl, but no longer. It's not advised for seniors, as it can contribute to Alzheimer's. Since I started using Flonase nasal spray during hay fever season, I haven't needed anything at bedtime.

Many of the sleep aids are combined with Acetaminophen (generic Tylenol), so one needs to factor in that amount with one's total daily consumption of that analgesic.

Whatever you do, don't take Ambien (by prescription). People do weird things while on that med. & don't even remember what they did. You might check with your local natural grocer for herbal options.

Dramamine is used for motion sickness, but it does make one sleepy. I wouldn't use it on a regular basis.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2013

I've taken melatonin for years when I go through periods I can't sleep. Originally I had vivid dreams, but then I always did, but no nightmares. Like said above, start out with the smallest dose (maybe 5 mg). When I researched it almost 20 years ago it was nonaddictive and all natural. I generally buy the cheapest 10 mg bottles, I don't remember the brand names.
              https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
              Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by MHG Winnower View Post
                Melatonin works, but can cause incredible dreaming.
                Whoa, I must produce a lot of melatonin, I dream like crazy every night. The dreams are what wakes me up. I usually don't have trouble falling asleep, but weird dreams keep me up. Years ago a prescribed muscle relaxant for back issues made me sleep, but I only need 1/2 pill, or I was groggy during day. I don't like taking anything, not even natural remedies, unless absolutely necessary and only for short while. Wine works too!
                Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• SuzyQue
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2010

I want to offer another choice that works well for me......essential oils in a diffuser. I place it near my bed and set it for one hour. I specifically use lavender at night and often mix it with orange. Buy the purest form you can as it really does matter. I am sleeping harder than I have for years and a lot less weird dreams. No grogginess the next day. I know when I forget to do this at night!

Comment

• Thayer Abaigael
                    Block Queen
                    • Sep 2019

I have sleep troubles, too.

I don't like how I feel when I take melatonin, either. When I reduced my caffeine intake to one cup of black tea in the morning, and no caffeine after noon, and basically cut out processed sugar (as opposed to naturally occurring, like in whole fruits, and such), my sleep improved greatly. The other thing I noticed when I cut the sugar was I didn't haven't to get up and pee in the middle of the night anymore. It was striking.

Comment

• quiltsRfun
                      Missouri Star
                      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                      Whatever you do, don't take Ambien (by prescription). People do weird things while on that med. & don't even remember what they did.
                      This doesn’t happen to everyone. Ambien got me through a period of deep depression and sleep deprivation (2 hours or less a night) when I could hardly function. Taken as prescribed and with DH monitoring for adverse side effects I had no problems during the time I took it and no problems when I stopped. I credit Ambien with helping me to recover, along with other remedies and activities prescribed by my doctor. All medicines and many herbal remedies have side effects. Just because it’s natural doesn’t mean there are no risks. Research carefully, weigh the risks, and make the decision that’s best for you.

Comment

• chelea
                        Missouri Star
                        • Mar 2012

If you are using an essential oil diffuser and have pets, please do some research. In some situations these oils can be toxic to pets.
                        Michele
                        ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                        To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• Hulamoon
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jul 2012

I was reading the comments sections on melatonin and saw the complaints of bad dreams and then you guys started bringing it up. Then I went on to read some other articles about side effects. Normally I would just say ehh to it all but I took something that had the side effect of suicidal thoughts. I forget the name of it. I did enough crazy stuff when I was a teen and I just don't want to take anything that screws with your brain.

Maybe I'll try a new mattress instead. lol
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

• JCY
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2013

Lorie ~ I bought a new mattress a few weeks ago. The other one was soooo old, it should have been replaced a long time ago. I normally don't have sleeping problems, but this new mattress is great & so comfy.

Would a sound spa (white noise machine) help? I've used one for years. It helps block out sounds from outside. I also wear ear plugs.

Essentials oils wouldn't work for me; I'm sensitive to fragrances.
                            Last edited by JCY; October 15, 2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• KarenC
                              Missouri Star
                              • Apr 2015

Interesting info here. I rarely sleep well, but occasionally when I really can't sleep I take an Advil and it helps.
                              Karen
                              Spring, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X