Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Melatonin?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Melatonin?

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Whatever you do, don't take Ambien (by prescription). People do weird things while on that med. & don't even remember what they did.
    This doesn’t happen to everyone. Ambien got me through a period of deep depression and sleep deprivation (2 hours or less a night) when I could hardly function. Taken as prescribed and with DH monitoring for adverse side effects I had no problems during the time I took it and no problems when I stopped. I credit Ambien with helping me to recover, along with other remedies and activities prescribed by my doctor. All medicines and many herbal remedies have side effects. Just because it’s natural doesn’t mean there are no risks. Research carefully, weigh the risks, and make the decision that’s best for you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you are using an essential oil diffuser and have pets, please do some research. In some situations these oils can be toxic to pets.

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading the comments sections on melatonin and saw the complaints of bad dreams and then you guys started bringing it up. Then I went on to read some other articles about side effects. Normally I would just say ehh to it all but I took something that had the side effect of suicidal thoughts. I forget the name of it. I did enough crazy stuff when I was a teen and I just don't want to take anything that screws with your brain.

Maybe I'll try a new mattress instead. lol

Lorie

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lorie ~ I bought a new mattress a few weeks ago. The other one was soooo old, it should have been replaced a long time ago. I normally don't have sleeping problems, but this new mattress is great & so comfy.

Would a sound spa (white noise machine) help? I've used one for years. It helps block out sounds from outside. I also wear ear plugs.

Essentials oils wouldn't work for me; I'm sensitive to fragrances.
    Last edited by JCY; October 15th, 2019 at 07:55 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting info here. I rarely sleep well, but occasionally when I really can't sleep I take an Advil and it helps.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lorie ~ I bought a new mattress a few weeks ago. The other one was soooo old, it should have been replaced a long time ago. I normally don't have sleeping problems, but this new mattress is great & so comfy.

Would a sound spa (white noise machine) help? I've used one for years. It helps block out sounds from outside. I also wear ear plugs.

Me too. My dd and I had to walk out of a cute East Indian shop because the incense could knock you over. Mattress'es go on sale in May and the Holidays. I think that is the real culprit, so Merry Christmas to me !

Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    Interesting info here. I rarely sleep well, but occasionally when I really can't sleep I take an Advil and it helps.
    My doc won't let me take Advil and Tylenol ect. Someone said melatonin might have those in it? She probably wouldn't let me take it then.

Lorie

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When my sister and I went to the Sisters Quilt Show a few years ago, she brought her diffuser and ran it that night. I woke in the middle of the night with the worse bloody nose I think I've ever had. Clearly there is something in whatever she used that I am allergic to! Her and her daughter swear by it.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No indoor pets here to be effected by the oils, but thanks for the warning. Of course, if you are sensitive to fragrances and scents the essential oils might not be an option for you. They do take a little time to find what works for you. Of course, avoid oils if you are having allergic reactions and or bloody noses! Sorry that happened to you. I was just offering an option that has worked wonders for me.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Essential oils are very concentrated, so are generally diluted down to 1% or so. The remaining 99% is a neutral oil (like jojoba oil) used to "carry" the essential oil. The reactions to essential oils are usually due to the carrier oils used. Trying a different supplier may help, as they may use a different carrier oil. I have seen people have asthma-type reactions when lavender oil was used in a humidifier, but I have also known many people who have benefitted from it. Even one drop rubbed onto your upper lip can be beneficial, if you don't find the scent to be overwhelming.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One more note about melatonin:It has been known to cause depression in some people. I've seen it happen to a family member.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?