Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Mid-arm machine suggestions please

After the new year, I will be looking to buy a bigger sewing/quilting machine. I do a lot of FMQ, so it must have a bigger throat space, ability to drop the feed dogs and needle down is a must have. Does anyone have any suggestions. Iím currently looking at a HQ Stitch 710, but price is a little more than Iím looking for right now. I want a sturdy machine, but no more than $1200 in price please. Must be able to handle at least a queen size quilt.
    Thanks for any and all help!

2. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mid-arm machine suggestions please

I'm going to stretch outside the box and let you know what I did for $900. I bought used.

It sounds like you're very comfortable FMQ-ing on a sit-down machine. Somehow, the idea of moving the fabric to FMQ really scared me; I wanted a way to move the machine. So for $500, I bought a used Juki 98E, and for $400, I bought a used Little Gracie II frame. I'm really happy with this set up, but you may want something different.

If you work with a dealer, you can get a high quality used machine. Most dealers take trade ins, refurbish them, and sell at a steep discount. For example, I expressed interest in a Janome 15000 floor model, but my LQS price was still too high. When the shop took a 1-year-old 15000 as a trade in, the manager called me. I got this trade in for $4000--its MSRP is $13,000! Plus, I still have a relationship with my LQS.

So my recommendation is to go visit your local dealer and see what used machines they have. You get a lot more machine while sticking to your budget.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

4. Thanks Thayer Abaigael, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that’s a good suggestion, I just wish that my area had some decent long arm shops. Unfortunately, the closest major city is Nashville, and there’s slim pickings when it comes to shops that carry machines. There’s a Joann’s on the other side of Nashville that might carry some machines, but I’m afraid I might be stuck ordering one from a web site or a used one from eBay. I’m just not sure what one’s are duds or not. Yes, I’m very comfortable sitting down and FMQ as I am doing my quilting in a small space right now until one of my kids move out(they’re in high school)! Lol.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You might also watch for a discounted price on a floor model. I don't have any suggestions for a DSM with a larger throat. I bought a Baby Lock Tiara II table model LA, but it cost more than your $1200. price. It's a great machine for FMQ & doesn't take up a lot of floor space.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lady_amethyst78 View Post
    Thanks that’s a good suggestion, I just wish that my area had some decent long arm shops. Unfortunately, the closest major city is Nashville, and there’s slim pickings when it comes to shops that carry machines. There’s a Joann’s on the other side of Nashville that might carry some machines, but I’m afraid I might be stuck ordering one from a web site or a used one from eBay. I’m just not sure what one’s are duds or not. Yes, I’m very comfortable sitting down and FMQ as I am doing my quilting in a small space right now until one of my kids move out(they’re in high school)! Lol.
    Have ou looked at Ken's sewing center in Muscle Shoals, Al? It might be worth the drive or at least check their website.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    Have ou looked at Ken's sewing center in Muscle Shoals, Al? It might be worth the drive or at least check their website.
    Ty, I will check the website.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen any midarms in that price range. Last year I bought a floor model Dream Quilter 15 by Brother with the Dream Frame for $6000. I have had to take the machine in several times to have issues resolved. I am new to quilting and sewing so have been learning a lot with this machine. Knowing what I know now not sure if I would do this again. I would get the best new machine I could. Many manufacturers offer great deals with little to no interest this time of year. That's what I would do. The 5 ft frame is annoying to adjust the quilt and I am not in love with this machine. I cannot afford to trade it in since I am still paying for it. Go to some shop and drive their machines and load them with quilts before you purchase would be my recommendation. I wish I had done more driving before buying. I travel an hour one way each time I have to take mine in for repairs.
    I am now in the process of trying to get either a Dream Frame Pro or Continuum frame to replace the 5 ft Dream Frame so I can load a quilt and not have to manually adjust the quilt from side to side in order to quilt the whole "row" before advancing the length.
    Last edited by Multimom6384; October 18th, 2019 at 09:11 PM.

10. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the in put , I think I have found a brother machine with a 8.5 inch throat space that will work for me . I’m not getting a quilting frame as I don’t have room for it, and I usually do Free motion quilting .