• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BarbaraB
    Designer Diva
    • Dec 2016

Crazy quilt question

Here are some of the blocks to my first crazy quilt. I've decided that I want to make it a bed quilt instead of 2 separate wall hangings; there are 50 blocks so that's not an issue. I've already purchased a puffy poly batting for it and plan to tie it. I also want to decorate the seams with decorative stitches before I sandwich and tie it. The seams were pieced with Aurifil 50 wt. cotton thread and pressed open. My plan is to use Isacord 40 wt. thread on the top and Superior Bottom Line 60 wt. for the bobbin thread in a matching color. Can you give me your thoughts on this? Will it work or will it be too bulky on a tied quilt? I've never done this before and don't want to ruin it. Thanks for your input!
    IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1086.JPG
    Barbara
  • Granny Fran
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2014

Re: Crazy quilt question

I cannot answer your question about the thread weights, but I love your blocks. I think the idea of deco stitches is great.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

• GuitarGramma
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2012

You've chosen very lightweight threads. I think they're a great choice for this quilt and will enhance its beauty.
      Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Missouri Star
        • Aug 2015

The thread weight should be fine on your very beautiful quilt. I'm assuming that you are doing your decorative stitches before you sandwich and tie.
        Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• KarenC
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2015

My thought is that your thread weight should be good. I typically use 40wt on top and 50wt in bobbin on my regular quilts. I've never done a crazy quilt though. I would suggest trying a test block with the decorative stitch(s) that you plan to use.
          Karen
          Spring, TX

Comment

Working...
          X