Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Machine lifespan

How long should I expect my modern sewing machine to last? I sew 2-3 hours per day.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Machine lifespan

What's the machine you're sewing on? What fabrics (strictly quilting cottons, or thicker stuff, like denim) are you usually sewing? Are you mostly using a straight stitch, or also more elaborate stitches?

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother machine. Sew mostly quilting cottons with straight stitch. A plastic/rubber washer thing just broke and I can't plug in my foot pedal. The machine was about $1000 new 6 years ago. Worth paying to get fixed or get a new one??

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NikiL View Post
    I have a Brother machine. Sew mostly quilting cottons with straight stitch. A plastic/rubber washer thing just broke and I can't plug in my foot pedal. The machine was about $1000 new 6 years ago. Worth paying to get fixed or get a new one??
    Do you invest to have the machine serviced regularly? If the answer is yes, then the answer is yes keep it. If you have never serviced the machine, it may be worth it to see if it is in need and while it is there fix the broken components.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

5. Thanks Thayer Abaigael, auntstuff thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

It does get serviced regularly. Just didn't know if this was a "throw away" product like so many things these days! How much do repairs cost?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Six years ago when your new Brother was $1000 it was a mid range machine and is probably worth repairing. The older mid range Brothers (six years is old) were very sturdy. The new Brothers (less than four years old) under $400 are throw away machines IMHO.

You should be able to get a repair estimate from a reputable shop for free. Please be aware that the good shops have a long waiting list and it may be weeks before they can get to your repair. It is not that the repair itself takes a long time, just there is a line ahead of you.

If it can be repaired for under $80 go for it. If the repair is more than $200 I would be looking for another machine.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

8. Thanks Thayer Abaigael, auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not consider that a throw away machine. Take it to an authorized Brother repairman though to have it serviced and repaired. My guy charges $150 just to look at it, to clean and for general service. Parts that may need to be replaced are extra.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

10. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Throw away machines.

Sad

SMH......
    Donna

12. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    Throw away machines.

Sad

SMH......
    IMHO there is a place in every quilters life journey for a throw away machine. I started on a $120 Brother machine that I bought at a big box store. I made every newbie mistake you can make. Installing the bobbin upside down, breaking needles, you name it. I learned something important about machine maintenance for every mistake I made. Two years later when I made the final mistake that broke it so bad I had to bring it in for repairs I learned that they wanted $180 to repair a machine I had purchased two years ago for $120. Nope, bought a better Brother for $200. Wore the plastic gears out in four years but never had to have it serviced once in four years. If it costs $150 dollars a year to clean and service a machine, there is definitely a place for throw away machines while you are learning.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

14. Thanks MSN, bubba thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions!!