Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Machine lifespan

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    IMHO there is a place in every quilters life journey for a throw away machine. I started on a $120 Brother machine that I bought at a big box store. I made every newbie mistake you can make. Installing the bobbin upside down, breaking needles, you name it. I learned something important about machine maintenance for every mistake I made. Two years later when I made the final mistake that broke it so bad I had to bring it in for repairs I learned that they wanted $180 to repair a machine I had purchased two years ago for $120. Nope, bought a better Brother for $200. Wore the plastic gears out in four years but never had to have it serviced once in four years. If it costs $150 dollars a year to clean and service a machine, there is definitely a place for throw away machines while you are learning.

Sorry, not at all what I was saying. I am totally disgusted by throw away everything. We claim to be worried about the environment, but yet pitch tons and tons of plastic machines of every kind into landfills every year. I bought a Canon printer with refillable ink cartridges. Guess what? The lifespan of the printer is designed to be less than the time it would take to use the ink in the cartridges. Just throw it away and buy another one.

As for sewing machines - all metal machines made in the late 1800's and all the way into the 1950's that have not been left outside to rust, are still usable and serviceable. If it could be done then, it could be done now. That is my point. But, as long as they can convince us consumers that we need to replace our plastic machines with new plastic machines and toss the old ones into a landfill, then they will continue to keep us spending big bucks on the plastic. I will keep my money and my vintage machines, thank you.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The sewing machine store near me will sell you extended warranties on machines. I'm sure most stores do. When I bought my class machine, which I paid $300 for several years ago, I bought that warranty which cost $100 and was good for four years. It covered repairs and cleanings for those four years and I could take in to be cleaned whenever I wanted.

The cost for taking it in for maintenance/cleaning was $150, so it was well worth it.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

3. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sewing machines can last a long time or a really short time. I have found that regular maintenance and cleaning make them last. Learn how to clean areas such as bobbin case, any open crevices that might accumulate fibers. Oil, if you machine requires this. Check your manual.

My DD has had a Husquarvana 400 for over 25 years, used extensively by both of us and I used daily when I had a sewing business. Cleaned it myself regularly and brought it in for service. In this time, it's probably been serviced 5 times and runs like a charm. I have had my Husky for over 8 years and it's only been serviced once for a recall item. I clean it myself, using pipe cleaners, brushes and small thingy item sold by various LQS and use a mini vaccum. Never use canned air in electronic machines.

I have a 1925 Singer which works like a charm. I oil, clean and maintain myself. On mechanical machines, you can use canned air I expect this one to work for a long time.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

5. Thanks quiltingaway, Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big proponent of repair, too, specially if it means that machine won't be thrown away.

But people aren't literally throwing away machines (like taking them to the dump) , are they? I mean, they'd see about giving them to a repair place, for parts, at least, yes?

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thayer Abaigael View Post
    I'm a big proponent of repair, too, specially if it means that machine won't be thrown away.

But people aren't literally throwing away machines (like taking them to the dump) , are they? I mean, they'd see about giving them to a repair place, for parts, at least, yes?
    Unfortunately, we live in a throw away society, so sadly many do end up in landfills. I personally would not spend $150 to repair a machine that only cost $200 to begin with. If everyone with broken machines, turned them in to repair shops to 'recylce', they would be overflowing with broken, unusable machines.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

And a plea to not get rid of a broken machine by "donating" it. My friend bought a machine at a thrift shop for $50. It wouldn't sew. My DH took the thing apart, cleaned it, adjusted everything, and it still wouldn't sew. Yep, it ended up in the landfill. If you know your machine doesn't work, why just pass it along to an unsuspecting buyer? Especially when many people who shop at thrift stores do it because they can't afford to buy new.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I guess it all depends on where one's priorities lay.