• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vonnie
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2013

Re: Strings?!@

When I was a kid, a long time ago, my aunt and grandmother taught me how to make scrappy quilts. We took old sheets and cut them into squares. Then we cut up old clothes and started just laying pieces down on the squares and started sewing till we filled up the square. Then turned them over and trimmed down to the square of sheet. They turned out great. I still have two of them.

If I was to do it again, I think I would use a solid 2 1/2" strip and lay it down the center of the square, then start laying pieces down and sewing till it was full.
    Vonnie

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
      When I was a kid, a long time ago, my aunt and grandmother taught me how to make scrappy quilts. We took old sheets and cut them into squares. Then we cut up old clothes and started just laying pieces down on the squares and started sewing till we filled up the square. Then turned them over and trimmed down to the square of sheet. They turned out great. I still have two of them.

If I was to do it again, I think I would use a solid 2 1/2" strip and lay it down the center of the square, then start laying pieces down and sewing till it was full.
      Vonnie have you ever seen the adding machine tape method of that?

OK... After playing quilting and sewing some, you end up with a bunch of scraps.  DON'T THROW THEM AWAY!!!  With a roll of adding machine t...
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Vonnie
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
        Vonnie have you ever seen the adding machine tape method of that?

http://thewomanonthehill.blogspot.co...ip-blocks.html
        Thanks! That's pretty neat! Never saw it before.
        Vonnie

Comment

• dwil23
          Missouri Star
          • May 2012

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
          I have a zillion opened jelly rolls that I planned on making into scrappy string blocks but that project keeps being pushed back on my to do list. I did make one (sorry no pic) sewing onto phone book pages and I will never do it that way again, having to pull off all the paper. Supposedly made easier if you shorten your stitch length, which I did, but you still need a tweezers to get the final bits out which is a real pain. Next time I will foundation piece onto muslin.
          If the pieces were so small, maybe you didn't need to pick them out? Tiny pieces of paper will disintegrate in the wash. The problem I see with using fabric as a foundation is that you can get "bubbles" that can be ironed out once you remove the paper, but not so with fabric that stays in your quilt and also adds weight and bulk to the quilt.

p.s. I also highly recommend checking out quiltville.blogspot.com (Bonnie Hunter's blog for patterns and how to's)
          Donna

Comment

• Deegles
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2014

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have gotten out my compass and am making these with my own pattern.
            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
            X