• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deegles
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2014

Strings?!@

I have bags and bags of scraps. I am thinking of sewing my strings together and then subcutting those pieces into a hexagon or other shape.....maybe even an equilateral triangle. Have any of you done this? Tips? Tricks? Show me your quilts please. Thanks! My pinterest searches is just the standard string quilt which I have already made.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/
  • nativetexan
    Banned
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2018

Re: Strings?!@

strip tube quilting was popular and there should be info on that. easy to make with strips.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
      Missouri Star
      • Oct 2013

I believe this was the technique Sitar used in much of her Trail Mix quilt pattern. I had sewn together many many strips of 1 1/4" fabrics. I believe most were sewn with about 8 to 10 fabric strips but it did vary. Then I cut those from various triangle templates to form triangle and star points, also interior 4, 6 or 8 patches.

I think you will find something similar in some of her utube tutorials. I still do use that technique with odds and ends strips I have and save them up. So that part is the "scrappy" part and then you decide what colors you want for the "backgrounds" for them. I love it and it's so flexible.
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• JulieC
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2016

Donna Jordan made a Hexagon Pinwheel using 2.5" strips...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt7Xu3zx1I4

Comment

• Caroline T.
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2016

This is a string quilt that my Mother had started (she made all the stars) and I finished (applique & sashing) after she passed away.
          Since I didn't do any of the piecing I'm sorry I don't have any tips or tricks for you, just a bit of advice: Have Fun!

Comment

• jjkaiser
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2013

I have a zillion opened jelly rolls that I planned on making into scrappy string blocks but that project keeps being pushed back on my to do list. I did make one (sorry no pic) sewing onto phone book pages and I will never do it that way again, having to pull off all the paper. Supposedly made easier if you shorten your stitch length, which I did, but you still need a tweezers to get the final bits out which is a real pain. Next time I will foundation piece onto muslin.
            Jocelyn
            South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Deegles
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by nativetexan View Post
              strip tube quilting was popular and there should be info on that. easy to make with strips.
              This would work if I had width of fabric for many pieces. Some may be 5 inches long by an inch.
              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

Comment

• Deegles
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                I believe this was the technique Sitar used in much of her Trail Mix quilt pattern. I had sewn together many many strips of 1 1/4" fabrics. I believe most were sewn with about 8 to 10 fabric strips but it did vary. Then I cut those from various triangle templates to form triangle and star points, also interior 4, 6 or 8 patches.

I think you will find something similar in some of her utube tutorials. I still do use that technique with odds and ends strips I have and save them up. So that part is the "scrappy" part and then you decide what colors you want for the "backgrounds" for them. I love it and it's so flexible.
                I have recently made a scrappystar quilt and really do not want to make another. That quilt is gorgeous!

Comment

• Hulamoon
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2012

They all start looking the same don't they. How about a more modern one like this color blocked one.

🌺 Lorie

Comment

• chelea
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2012

I saw this the other day on Pinterest. So cute!

Michele
                    ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• JCY
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2013

You might want to visit Bonnie Hunter's blog; she's been making courthouse steps blocks from all sorts of strings. I think she posted a tutorial for it. She uses strings freq. in many of her patterns. She's definitely the queen of scraps. She may even have a book out on it. I follow her blog daily.

Comment

• sydneybean
                        The Guild President
                        • Feb 2010

Bonnie Hunter has a lot of books out on it. String Frenzy I believe is the title of one of the book.
                        So. Illinois just south of St Louis County

Comment

• Murphy224
                          Applique Angel
                          • Feb 2016

A few years ago I made a spool quilt using Edytar Sitar's pattern Spools Spools Spools. However instead of batiks, I just used my scraps cut into strings. I used my strings and separated them by color, sewed to the thinnest muslin I could find. I am very pleased with it. Here is a link to Edytar's pattern and a photo of my quilt top.

009.jpg

Comment

• MHG Winnower
                            Missouri Star
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Murphy224 View Post
                            A few years ago I made a spool quilt using Edytar Sitar's pattern Spools Spools Spools. However instead of batiks, I just used my scraps cut into strings. I used my strings and separated them by color, sewed to the thinnest muslin I could find. I am very pleased with it. Here is a link to Edytar's pattern and a photo of my quilt top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]160987[/ATTACH]
                            Had to say that I just love your quilt. Thank you for the link.
                            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• pcbatiks
                              Missouri Star
                              • Mar 2012

I found this link and posted it a few years ago. It has tons of scrappy inspiration of all kinds!

The Scrap Attack quilt along (hosted at Stitched in Color) aims to inspire you to create from scraps whether in a scrappy, fabric explosion or with something more intentional in color and design. Each week, now through mid-March, I'll feature a tutorial and/or interview with an inspiring quilt blogger, culminating in a Festival of Scrappiness the last week of March. The festival will be a link party for anyone who completes a scrappy quilt top in 2012, with random door prizes from batting to fabric stacks to scraps donated by our inspiring bloggers. Yes, more scraps! Oy.

Over 1,500 pictures! So many gorgeous quilts! I said it before....please don't hold me responsible for the amount of time you spend browsing through these pictures. I know I have spent way too much time.......

Hope this helps.
                              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Working...
                              X