Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strings?!@

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Strings?!@

You might want to visit Bonnie Hunter's blog; she's been making courthouse steps blocks from all sorts of strings. I think she posted a tutorial for it. She uses strings freq. in many of her patterns. She's definitely the queen of scraps. She may even have a book out on it. I follow her blog daily.

2. Thanks dwil23, sydneybean thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Bonnie Hunter has a lot of books out on it. String Frenzy I believe is the title of one of the book.

4. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I made a spool quilt using Edytar Sitar's pattern Spools Spools Spools. However instead of batiks, I just used my scraps cut into strings. I used my strings and separated them by color, sewed to the thinnest muslin I could find. I am very pleased with it. Here is a link to Edytar's pattern and a photo of my quilt top.
    https://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/...spools-spools/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	160987

6. Thanks pcbatiks, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
    A few years ago I made a spool quilt using Edytar Sitar's pattern Spools Spools Spools. However instead of batiks, I just used my scraps cut into strings. I used my strings and separated them by color, sewed to the thinnest muslin I could find. I am very pleased with it. Here is a link to Edytar's pattern and a photo of my quilt top.
    https://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/...spools-spools/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	160987
    Had to say that I just love your quilt. Thank you for the link.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

8. Thanks Murphy224 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I found this link and posted it a few years ago. It has tons of scrappy inspiration of all kinds!

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1846806@N20/

Over 1,500 pictures! So many gorgeous quilts! I said it before....please don't hold me responsible for the amount of time you spend browsing through these pictures. I know I have spent way too much time.......

Hope this helps.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

10. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid, a long time ago, my aunt and grandmother taught me how to make scrappy quilts. We took old sheets and cut them into squares. Then we cut up old clothes and started just laying pieces down on the squares and started sewing till we filled up the square. Then turned them over and trimmed down to the square of sheet. They turned out great. I still have two of them.

If I was to do it again, I think I would use a solid 2 1/2" strip and lay it down the center of the square, then start laying pieces down and sewing till it was full.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    When I was a kid, a long time ago, my aunt and grandmother taught me how to make scrappy quilts. We took old sheets and cut them into squares. Then we cut up old clothes and started just laying pieces down on the squares and started sewing till we filled up the square. Then turned them over and trimmed down to the square of sheet. They turned out great. I still have two of them.

If I was to do it again, I think I would use a solid 2 1/2" strip and lay it down the center of the square, then start laying pieces down and sewing till it was full.
    Vonnie have you ever seen the adding machine tape method of that?

http://thewomanonthehill.blogspot.co...ip-blocks.html

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Vonnie have you ever seen the adding machine tape method of that?

http://thewomanonthehill.blogspot.co...ip-blocks.html
    Thanks! That's pretty neat! Never saw it before.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I have a zillion opened jelly rolls that I planned on making into scrappy string blocks but that project keeps being pushed back on my to do list. I did make one (sorry no pic) sewing onto phone book pages and I will never do it that way again, having to pull off all the paper. Supposedly made easier if you shorten your stitch length, which I did, but you still need a tweezers to get the final bits out which is a real pain. Next time I will foundation piece onto muslin.
    If the pieces were so small, maybe you didn't need to pick them out? Tiny pieces of paper will disintegrate in the wash. The problem I see with using fabric as a foundation is that you can get "bubbles" that can be ironed out once you remove the paper, but not so with fabric that stays in your quilt and also adds weight and bulk to the quilt.

p.s. I also highly recommend checking out quiltville.blogspot.com (Bonnie Hunter's blog for patterns and how to's)
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have gotten out my compass and am making these with my own pattern.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

16. Thanks Monique thanked for this post