Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's Saturday! :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Most of the snow is gone. Our high temp. was 56, so that sun really melted away the snow, except for in the shady areas. It's supposed to be 60 today. Warmer temps. are forecast for next week.

I finished hemming the flannel blanket yest. afternoon. I spread it out on the bed to see how it looked. It's too long! Well, phooey! I'll have to trim off some & re-hem it.

Today I'll be baking DH's spelt bread. I hope everyone has a good week end.

2. Thanks Thayer Abaigael, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It's Saturday! :)

Good morning Joy and everyone who follows,

It's sunny and crisp now, but we are to get some rain later today. I will try and run errands to get the last items needed for Monday's Thanksgiving dinner. I made a Costco run with my daughter yesterday, after the wonderful show with Michelle Obama. It was well attended and very apropos given that it was the International day of the Girl. It was non-political, funny and honest. She is an inspiration. You could see there were many many mother-daughter-sisters in attendance.

We have been trying to clear garage. I gave one of my bicycles to my daughter, and DH will return his son's bike, which we have had since we moved here. So we are back down to 2 bikes to store in shed for winter. There is still lots of DH's stuff on his side of garage. My side is clear, so my car gets to sleep indoor. He wants to park his car inside, but can't as he wont part with stuff.

DH is up so I can now get cracking on my day. Laundry, errands and visit mom before it rains.

Enjoy your day. Sorry for everyone in middle to western parts of Canada-US having crazy amounts of snow, especially so early in the season. Please don't send our way. .

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning!

It is a grey start to the day -- we had some rain this morning, but not as much as predicted. It is also cool today, with a high of 55. Yesterday was in the upper 70's and sunny.

I'm actually going to spend time in my sewing room today! My sister made her first quilt top (a jelly roll race) a couple of years ago, but hasn't had the time / money to finish it. I am going to send it to M* for her. She used the Sand in My Shoes line, so I have backing fabric with shells on it and a panel that says "The Beach Is My Happy Place". I already have the measurements figured out...all I have to do is square up the panel and use the shell fabric to border it. And, if I place the order this weekend, we will get 14.92% off the quilting. Love those discounts!

I want to run up to my LQS today and check out the new machines. I am continuing my eternal search for a new embroidery machine. I am very interested in the Babylock Meridian, which is embroidery-only. The last time I was there, they tried to sell me a used machine that I did not want (I forget which one).

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning All,

I'm glad to say, my poor toe/ foot feels a lot better today than yesterday. Wowsers! It still looks quite the mess though. I soaked for a long while in the epsom salts bath last night, and yesterday I kept ice packs on it every so often.

Mike works to closing tonight. He doesn't go in until 3. I should fix him a good lunch before he heads out. No clues, but something will hit me when I open the freezer door. It will be a good evening to deep condition my hair and give myself a facial while he's out!

Yesterday, I worked on finding my Christmas address labels. Since my computer started acting up and I switched to a chrome book, I didn't know how my labels would translate. It looks like two rows of labels are blank in the document. Since I do have some addresses to update, I guess I'll make a new document on the new computer and not worry so much about the old document.

I did get all of my thumb drives labeled, and all of the stuff is on the hard drive... I think. Maybe, I'll check that next. Not today, I've had enough computer fun like that for a few days. I have 2 thumb drives that has nothing but Montessori training information on them. My retirement job that didn't pan out because of school system politics and embezzling the funds from the training center to pay for a huge retirement party for one of the upper ups in the school system. I guess the school system wouldn't call it embezzling, but creative movement of available funds within the department. It left the training center unable to pay people working for us, though. Water under the bridge, statutes of limitations expired and the training center went belly up when I quit doing all of the paper work. But, it still bugs me!

Higher note, I'll find something creative to do today. Once I get my shoes on to protect my poor toe! Mike and I will have a good late lunch, of cubed steak, rice and gravy with some kind of veggie. And I'll have some quiet me time while he's at work!

Have a great day. Happy early Thanksgiving to all of those celebrating a long weekend!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is a rainy day in SW Pennsylvania so the fall festival has been put on hold for today, maybe we will go tomorrow. Instead we will visit the two local quilt shops and perhaps wander an antique mall or shop. Then maybe we can find a sports bar to watch the Alabama/Texas A&M game. Maybe the watch Alabama football in Pennsylvania.

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was supposed to spend all week staging the house. But between doctor appointments, a re-scheduled work appointment, squirrel trappers and a myriad of other things, I didn't get to staging until last night. The good news is that I made great progress. And I have a free weekend to continue the work. It's invigorating to see our "working ranch" turn into a model home.

One of the secrets to staging is replacing your family photos with dramatic artwork. I'd rather live with the photos, but artwork showcases the home. I've picked up some affordable but dramatic art at Hobby Lobby, a consignment store, and on Amazon. I'm switching to white duvet covers and some showcase furniture from IKEA. In the end, I'm going to have to ask myself if it would have been cheaper to hire someone. But in the meantime, this is fun.

Off to stage!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    I was supposed to spend all week staging the house. But between doctor appointments, a re-scheduled work appointment, squirrel trappers and a myriad of other things, I didn't get to staging until last night. The good news is that I made great progress. And I have a free weekend to continue the work. It's invigorating to see our "working ranch" turn into a model home.

One of the secrets to staging is replacing your family photos with dramatic artwork. I'd rather live with the photos, but artwork showcases the home. I've picked up some affordable but dramatic art at Hobby Lobby, a consignment store, and on Amazon. I'm switching to white duvet covers and some showcase furniture from IKEA. In the end, I'm going to have to ask myself if it would have been cheaper to hire someone. But in the meantime, this is fun.

Off to stage!
    Taking our family pictures down was the hardest thing for me to do. I understood why, but it didn't make it any easier. It was great to get into the new place and hang those pictures back on the walls! Now, holy cow, if I had to take family pictures down, I'd only have one wall to replace. Everything else is art.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KPH View Post
    Taking our family pictures down was the hardest thing for me to do. I understood why, but it didn't make it any easier. It was great to get into the new place and hang those pictures back on the walls! Now, holy cow, if I had to take family pictures down, I'd only have one wall to replace. Everything else is art.
    You've been through it, too, so you understand!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I will never forget the one house we looked at while house hunting years ago. It was a lovely split level home but every wall was covered with family photos. It was the most unsettling feeling...we couldn't imagine ourselves living there with all those people we didn't know, lol.

17. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been through the staging phase many times, but after its done, I rather like it and think 'wow, so much more space'. That's when I remember to declutter and rotate pictures on the wall, side tables and everywhere. Rather than pay to move, I sonate before I move.

When I was house hunting after my divorce, I saw many homes. One I really liked, neighbourhood, style, it had potential and the price was right. Only problem for me is that there was religious artwork, shrines and prayer areas in every room. While I am christian, I felt like I might be dammed for being divorced. Didn't buy - walked away.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.