Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy New to Quilting and Hello from North Carolina

Hello and good morning,

I’m new to quilting and so excited to have found this forum. I have only made one sampler quilt (with an instructor) that turned out “pretty good.”

I thought, I would start another quilt (on my own) and it’s a mess! I made 8” squares from triangles and didn’t cut correctly and now they’re not all the same size. I realized this, once I started to sew them together and they didn’t line up. Long story, short… I showed them to my instructor; she told me they were all wrong and sent me home to rip them all apart.

2. Thanks Granny Fran, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to Quilting and Hello from North Carolina

Welcome from a long-rime sewist, but another relatively new quilter. There's alot of good quilting tutorials here, along with folks who will give advice. I'm happy to hear others take the plunge and learning to quilt.

As far a cutting the "wrong" sizes, and ended up with a different sized block, don't underestimate changing up the design, and adding a bit of sashing between blocks. As long as your blocks are square, you can create a whole new look! Adventure!

4. Thanks pveling, DeniseSm, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from Canada. I'm certain that you will enjoy your quilting journey with every new block made, and every stitch ripped out. Jack the Ripper is a stern teacher.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mistakes happen...it is not the end of your quilting adventure however. Remember it takes time to learn a new skill. I do hope your instructor gave you positive suggestions on how to resolve your problem other than seam ripping. I remember when I started out that negative feedback kinda hurt. Just don't let it get in the way of learning. All the YouTube tutorial teachers didn't get that way without some setbacks when they started. That is why they are trying to teach new quilters. Above all, enjoy the process. It should not be a chore.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

7. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum and to your new friend, the seam ripper.

Triangles are hard, especially when you're dealing with the bias! I hope your instructor is kind when you go back.

Take pictures of what you have and post them. There are a lot of great quilters here, we might have some suggestions. One off the top of my head, turn those triangles into wonky pentagons and add strips to each side until you get them to the size square you'd like to have. Then sew the squares together.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you don't get to discouraged by your first "lesson." Think of it this way, you are going to bed an expert triangle maker after this!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Wisconsin! I also hope you are not too discouraged by this. You will discover there are so many different ways of doing things. There are alot of excellent problem solvers here and I promise you, any issue that you might run into has been experienced by one or ten or more people here who would love to share their advice. That is one thing that makes this Forum so great, everyone is so helpful. Anyway, glad you joined our group and we are looking forward to getting to know you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from the Basque Country this is a forum of incredible people

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the group from California.

If you have already dismantled your completed blocks from the sashing, assuming they were sashed, you can sash each block up separately with rectangles on each side, oversizing the sashes, then square them all up to be say 10 1/2" square, then reassemble, or you can sash them with oversized triangles, and then size all of them all to be the same size.

One of the most important things about making quilt blocks is ACCURACY. Make sure each block is the size you intended. It's easy to accidentally make a seam allowance too small or too large. Slow down and measure as you go. We were all beginners once, and made our own mistakes. Learn from it and all your quilts will evolve into something just beautiful.

13. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for support. Yes, my feeling were a bit hurt, but my instructor told me after I RIPPED them all apart to bring them back to her and together we would make a beautiful quilt.

15. Thanks Granny Fran thanked for this post