Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help - how to fix warped cutting mat? (and a warning!)

Hi all,

I've been using the new Oliso mini project iron. It comes with a silicon mat to rest it on. I was using my pressing board, and had the Oliso next to the board, resting on its silicon mat between presses. The silicon mat was on top of an Olaf cutting mat. When I was done, I realized that the silicon mat had not provided enough protection, and the iron warped my mat.

So, does anyone have any advice on how to remove warps in a cutting mat?

Additionally, be forewarned that the provided Oliso mini project iron mat needs protection under it.

Thanks!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help - how to fix warped cutting mat? (and a warning!)

Ugh! I've had similar issues. Once I even burned a hole into my huge (36x68) expensive mat with a curling iron. :'(

Have you tried turning the mat over and (intentionally) using the iron with its silicone mat on the back side lightly? Sometimes the "turn over and iron it again" method has worked to flatten out "bubbled" stuff for me.

In any case, I hope you figure out something that works. Good luck.

3. Thanks emmeblue thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhhhh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't know of any way to fix this, as more heat risks making the problem worse. You might try piling lots of heavy books all over the mat to see if that flattens it at all? But mostly, I want to say that my heart breaks for you.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

5. Thanks emmeblue thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would call Customer Service at the mfg.(of the cutting board not the iron!)I have a feeling they have heard a little of everything. So sorry this happened. Let us know if you find a solution.

7. Thanks emmeblue, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just checked the Olaf website, sadly they say there is no way to remove warping, and recommend using the mat for paper cutting

9. Thanks emmeblue, Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Some one posted years back that they placed their cutting mat outside on a flat surface, In direct sunlight and weighed the "bubble" down with bricks on a hot summer day. ?? They said it made it usable.. but I guess it wasn't a perfect solution.

Another lady told me she used her "ruined" mat to make templates.... I do hope not all is lost. I had just thrown out an old mat before I heard about the template re cycle idea.

11. Thanks emmeblue, Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I really have not heard too many good things about that little iron. Almost everyone in a group I belong to has returned that iron because it get so hot. Even the handle. Someone said there isn't enough air flow between the iron and the heat resistant mat it come with. Hope you can fix your mat.

13. Thanks emmeblue thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My mom warped her cutting mat by using an iron on top of it (with a pressing mat)... she wound up just having to buy a new cutting mat.

15. Thanks emmeblue thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I piled a bunch of books overnight, then some heavy cut-glass vases... no luck.

I’m particularly bummed out because the mat is part of a 3-mat set that connects make a huge cutting surface.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sydneybean View Post
    I really have not heard too many good things about that little iron. Almost everyone in a group I belong to has returned that iron because it get so hot. Even the handle. Someone said there isn't enough air flow between the iron and the heat resistant mat it come with. Hope you can fix your mat.
    Ah. This is good information. I may end up returning it if it’s not too late. It is sooooo hot to the touch.