Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default WOOHOO it's Friday!!

Good morning, thankful it is Friday today. It was another quiet day yesterday, I even had a nap. I managed to get all my blocks cut to size.

Phil and Maizyn have arrived. I think they are going to join me and have lunch with Greg and surprise him.

Not much else going on.

Have a great day everyone.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WOOHOO it's Friday!!

Have fun Monique!

Jim was planning to come this afternoon and enjoy the time with his wife this morning, but Morgan wants to sleep in. Jim and the kids will get here shortly. He's going to work on the quilt ladders for my bedroom. I'm excited.

Yesterday, Mike and I went to Lowe's. We picked up two more garden hooks to put out front this Christmas with the lanterns. While we were there we picked up the lag bolts and casters to put under the cabinet in the kitchen. Since I put the little table on the back of the cabinet, the kids won't know the big cabinet will be more of the kitchen island I wanted.

I haven't done anything in the sewing room other than put two more notebooks that Melinda sent me. It's my old Word Trek set (it's a spelling and vocabulary program) that I used with the children in school. It's been sitting in her small group area, nobody wants it, so she sent it back to me. I'm excited. Jonathan will be ready for it in a year or so. When I retired, I gave it to Melinda. Melinda used it in her classroom with her kids and when she started the tutoring small groups she couldn't use it. It's come back home.

Time to clean up the table before little curious fingers get here to find pointy screws.

Have a great day!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

4. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Our coldest morning yet; it's only 44 deg. The weather web site says it's 40. This is the third day in a row that the furnace has kicked on in the mornings. I see 30's in the forecast, so I guess it's time to drain the "fountain". It's the boy on the turtle fountain we bought years ago, which sits out on our patio. When DH was in better health, he used to keep the motor for the fountain going, but it got to be too much of a maintenance headache, so for many years, we've just filled the water for a bird bath. I need to remove the water, store the boy (the top) in the garage for the winter, & cover the base for winter. It's too heavy to lift, so we leave it in place & cover it with a garbage bag. Every summer I place a pot of Purple Fountain Grass on either side of it, with 3 baskets of geraniums placed around in front of it. By the end of the summer, the grass will be 4 ft. tall. We enjoy the flowers from our kitchen window.

It's supposed to be warm & sunny today, so I think I'll change the bed, air the pillows outside, & do some laundry.

6. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning,

It's a crisp sunny morning, Monique - enjoy your visit with family.
    Katrina - I would love to see pictures of your quilt ladders. I have a decorative bamboo decorative ladder left behind when we moved in. We kept it, but it's only wide enough to display table runners.
    Joy - in a few weeks I have to start putting away canopies, decorative garden items, furniture, empty pots . I usually like to leave it out until our Thanksgiving next weekend. Next year DH wants to dismantle the pond and set up a water feature he hopes will be less maintenance. If it's like our fountain, we gave it away and I bought a small bird bath.

KarenC - I read your response and next time I go to M*, I would love to take the tour of warehouse. I agree with Joy and responded on packing slip on other thread.

DH took a medical to get his pilot license. He is already scheduled for cataract surgery this winter. I am happy the doctor requested a stress test (should not be an issue) and a hearing test. I know the latter will reveal hearing loss. Hopefully he will agree to hearing aids.

The ribs I made last night were very good, recipe is a keeper. No definitive plans for today, pick up Rx, take down curtains on gazebo and wash, organize next sewing project.

Have an enjoyable day. Be safe. Stay warm and dry.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

8. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone. It's nice and sunny here this morning. I had a wonderful birthday yesterday. Spent a lot of time in my sewing room, received beautiful flowers and phone calls from kids and grands. Then had a delicious dinner out with hubby. But a big surprise I received was that Rob and John got 4 tickets to the Yankee playoff game tomorrow night! We are heading up to Peekskill tonight for the weekend and will probably take the train down to the stadium for the game. So excited!!!!

Monique, enjoy you visit with Phil, Maizyn and Greg. Suzanne, hubby likes to smoke the ribs and they come out yummy but I love them cooked slowly in the crockpot. Joy, I am watching our temps here and soon I will be prepping our yards for winter too. Katrina, can't wait to see pictures of your quilt ladders. I have a couple of quilt racks but would love a ladder or two also.

Time to go switch out the laundry, pack for the weekend and get John and Rob's plants ready for their trip back home. They brought them here when they were heading out on their cross country trip and we haven't gotten them back up there yet. Then I've got some receiving blankets and burp cloths to work on before picking Henry up. Have a fabulous Friday all.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

10. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone!

I've been AWOL here for awhile. We traveled to Southern California to help babysit grandchildren and visit my mother a bit. It was a lovely trip. We are actually moving down there soon, and we're in escrow on a mobile home attached to our timeshare resort. I'm imagining permanent vacation! Of course, it won't be, but just now a gal can dream, right?

In July, we discovered a small leak in the drainage pipe from our master bathroom. You'll love how we found it. I was washing a quilt in the bathtub and my husband was working outside. Suddenly, he noticed bubbles oozing out of the bottom of our house.

Thus began a very expensive saga. We had just signed up for a Home Warranty, so I contacted them. They sent plumber #1 to look at the problem. He recommended plumber #2 to do leak detection. Plumber #2 explains that there is no technology that can detect a leak on a drainage pipe, so the interior wall will need to be opened. But he won't do that because there's probably mold in the wall. So we need to have mold mitigation done first.

Warranty company calls me and explains my contract doesn't cover mold mitigation. I start making phone calls, no one calls me back. Finally, one company did and they took air samples outside, inside and inside the wall. They send back a report that lists about 50 different kinds of molds and what levels we have of each. But the test results are labeled "Sample 1" and "Sample 2" so I don't know what's a baseline and what's elevated where. They say they'll do mold mitigation for $1700. Seems decent.

Technician shows up and said, "Did you read the contract? There's no mold in your dining room wall (where the leak is). This $1700 is just for the 2 square feet in your bathroom." I say, "Well, I don't need that done. We work with a handyman who'll fix that no problem. Can I get my $850 deposit back?" He calls the office: Nope, the deposit was non-refundable. But for $300 more, they'll open up the dining room wall. I say yes, figuring at least plumber #2 will then repair the leak.

Plumber #2 returns. Now he can see the leaking pipe and he can see that the leak is against the outside wall. He says they need to jackhammer the foundation to get at it. I am now thinking, "Thank goodness for that Home Warranty! My contract says they'll pay up to $1,000 for jackhammering the foundation and repairing it."

A week later, I finally hear from the warranty company. "You should have read your contract," they say. "We don't cover jackhammering." I say, "I read my contract, and it says you pay up to $1,000 for jackhammering." "Oh," they say, "that's ONLY if there's a leak in the slab. We don't pay for an obstruction in the way of fixing a leak." "Obstruction? It's the wall of the house! That's not an obstruction!" "SORRY. YOUR WALL IS AN OBSTRUCTION."

They next day, in utter frustration, I called the aforementioned handyman. He came the next day and fixed the leak. Over the next while he re-sealed our shower, replaced the drywall, re-textured the drywall, painted, and is—at this moment—re-installing our baseboards. All for less than the $2,000 I wasted on scam-city mold mitigation!

No quilting has been accomplished. I'm looking forward to getting my machines fired back up in my newly painted, mold-free, clean-as-a-whistle house!

I did, however, get an update done on my Superman website. If you love The Brady Bunch, you'll enjoy this week's post:
    http://www.supermanbobholiday.com/Ch...BradyBunch.htm
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

12. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

OMG Toni! You had me holding my breath almost afraid to keep reading. What a story that is!!!! You sound as calm as ever. Glad it all worked out for you. I have a feeling you will be pretty happy once your move is all over with.

14. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Suzanne, he's got 2x4s for the verticals, and 2x6s for the rungs. He cut the bottoms 15 degrees for the slant. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0548.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	160832 He's planning on staining them tomorrow, I think. I'm going to have to move pictures that are hanging on the wall where they'll go once stained white and dried. I'm not sure where I'll end up putting those paintings, but I'll figure it out between now and then.

The brown three rung in front is Morgan's rack that will go back to their home tomorrow. The three in the back, that have 4 rungs will go in my bedroom. One on the side with the cedar chest and two on the other side of the window.
    Last edited by KPH; October 4th, 2019 at 08:30 PM.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

16. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Toni ~ What a saga! It must have been so frustrating for you to work through all that mess. Glad it finally worked out okay.

18. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you JJ and JCY. Everything got finished today. The saga has ended and all is fixed, dry, and leak-proof in the house. I am experiencing a tremendous sense of relief.

Now I can start putting my house back together!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

20. Thanks Monique, MSN, Claire Hallman thanked for this post