• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • midnightline
    The Guild President
    • Apr 2016

Shipping a quilt internationally question

I am debating making and sending a quilt as a gift to a friend in Canada. Unfortunately, she is having serious financial difficulties, and if I send her anything that gets custom fees added to it, she cannot afford them. For those who have sent quilts internationally, is there a way to pre-pay any such fees on my end?
  • ktdid
    The Guild President
    • Dec 2018

Re: Shipping a quilt internationally question

Why can't you just send her the money in advance to cover the costs?
    Kate (Oklahoma)
    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• Monique
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2011

Make sure to state that it is a gift therefore there shouldn't be any custom charges applied.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Missouri Star
        • Aug 2015

Agree with Monique. There is no tax or customs imposed on gifts. You may want to list the item as a quilted blanket.
        Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• RiverMomm
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2012

I've shipped quilt gifts both ways between Canada and US for years. You are right, your friend will have to pay duty/taxes on any gift that is valued over $60 Canadian (about $45 US) plus a brokerage fee. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a way to prepay custom/brokerage fees.

Here are a few suggestions I have found to make it easier for shipping/receiving gifts.

Ship by USPS. It will then go by Canada Post and the brokerage fee will be minimal or none. I think the brokerage fee is $8 but I could be wrong.
          NEVER ship by UPS.
          Declare the quilt as a gift on the customs form.
          List the quilt as a handmade blanket as some customs folks don't know what a quilt is but know what a blanket is. LOL
          Declare the amount on the quilt. Since I make the quilts, I declare the value of the fabric only. If the value is less than $45 US, your friend won't be charged.
          Insure the quilt for the amount you have declared not more.
          Place the quilt in a clear plastic bag with your friend's address on a card inside the bag before packing it in a box. This is important because if the box is opened or damaged, the quilt has an address as well as keeping it clean. I always put a pretty ribbon around the clear bag.
          Include a card indicating it is a gift such as a birthday card.
          DON'T add any food items.

Your friend will feel loved with one of your quilts to keep her warm. I hope you figure out a way to get it to her.

Here is one of my quilts. I slipped the card inside the bag before I packed it. No issues with customs. I declared the value as $30 as it was a mix of new fabric I had bought and fabric donated to me.
          stef quilt.jpg
          Last edited by RiverMomm; October 5, 2019, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• KarenC
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2015

This is good information to know. Thanks for educating me.
            Karen
            Spring, TX

Comment

• midnightline
              The Guild President
              • Apr 2016

That is good to know. Unfortuantely, I don't know of any adult-sized quilt that you can make for under $45 worth of fabric! Even clearance fabric is more expensive than that! Still, my friend can't really afford the brokerage fee, let alone any customs/duties. She's in a rather rough patch right now.

Comment

Working...
              X