Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Courtyard Cabin free pattern download

I love it, but wonder if changing the fabrics and being more scrappy would ruin the overall look? Keeping track of colors by letter has always been difficult for me, but if the background fabric was a dark color and all of the others were bright/jewel tones, do you think it would still be as stunning overall? Hmm...

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Courtyard Cabin free pattern download

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I love it, but wonder if changing the fabrics and being more scrappy would ruin the overall look? Keeping track of colors by letter has always been difficult for me, but if the background fabric was a dark color and all of the others were bright/jewel tones, do you think it would still be as stunning overall? Hmm...
    Squeaky, I find it really helps me to make a swatch chart, similar to what the pattern shows on pp. 2-3. I cut a small sample of each fabric (usually, I do 1" x 1") and paste it next to the letter. That swatch chart is my guide; I keep it near my cutting table for the duration of the project.

As for making it scrappier, I think it would still be stunning IF you are careful to keep the same degree of contrast and value. Part of the beauty of this quilt is the subtle gradation of the flying geese colors and the square-in-a-square colors. Even if you substitute different fabrics, you will still have to keep track of where each piece goes.