Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Table

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cutting Table

Hello. I'm on the hunt for a cutting table - preferably collapsible. Any suggestions? I have been looking at the Sullivans Home Hobby Table but it seems like it isn't very sturdy but it's really the only one on the market, so people are just making modifications. What are you all doing??? Thanks in advance.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cutting Table

Walmart folding table on bed risers. Poor folks cutting table. 5 years and counting.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

3. Thanks giig21, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Dining room table... it works, hard on the back, but it's all I have room for.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have an Ikea within driving distance there are some wonderful hacks to convert Ikea products to a cutting table with storage underneath.

If there is no Ikea nearby, try a table like this that does not fold in the middle
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/62HUAHZ5V...&selected=true

The legs fold in and then you can store the table.

Another idea that gives a really big surface is a hollow core door set on a trestle
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/JELD-WEN...0019/202036234
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

6. Thanks giig21 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have a price limit, get a Martelli table....very expensive, but worth it!

My husband, aka MM, made mine. I bought shelving units at Costco and he put them on a rolling base he made. Next, he topped it with some nice plywood. It is 4x6 feet and I love it! All the space underneath for storage! He hung a LED shop light overhead.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 6 foot wooden table I bought at a yard sale. The new tables all fold in the middle and are plastic. I don't like that fold in the center or the reek smell of oil based plastics. I was tired of all the crappy tables they sell now. The great thing about real wood is how solid it is and how long it lasts. I think I paid $15 at a yard sale for the table I have now.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Would something like this work for you?

http://www.correllinc.com/counterheight.html

It's standing height, and folds up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

At the risk of being kicked off the forum for such an old fashioned idea, I would suggest using the old standby, the card table. It is 36 inches square, waist high, and folds up and down in like two seconds. I have one up in my sewing room (not for a cutting table) that I intended to put up temporarily-- and I haven't taken it down in 5 years except when we have company and need a kiddie table to eat at.

11. Thanks auntstuff, LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    At the risk of being kicked off the forum for such an old fashioned idea, I would suggest using the old standby, the card table. It is 36 inches square, waist high, and folds up and down in like two seconds. I have one up in my sewing room (not for a cutting table) that I intended to put up temporarily-- and I haven't taken it down in 5 years except when we have company and need a kiddie table to eat at.
    You won't be kicked off this forum for proposing a frugal idea! But what card table is waist high? Unless you're a LOT shorter than me.

Like auntstuff, I use a church basement style banquet table with folding legs and bed risers. I put my big board ironing surface on top. Most of the time, I just throw my cutting mat on top of the ironing surface at one end of the big board and use the iron at the other end.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know of one that is collapsible except the Sullivans. I have one but needed more storage so I bought two of the Sterilite 4 drawer cabinets,(link below) took the legs off the Sullivans and put the top directly onto the top of the cabinets. Voila! a perfect height cutting table with 8 drawers of space underneath. Topped the whole thing with the cutting mat from Joanns that fits perfectly.
    This link shows what I have in the light sand color but it seems to be unavailable any longer and they have these dark gray ones but are the same type drawers. Naturally the price is higher too but my set up is 12 years old.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...BoC0o8QAvD_BwE