Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting Table

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cutting Table

My first table was a Costco one. Once you decide on a table, I added cut PVC pipes, slipped them on the legs to make the table height just for me. I recently removed the legs and put on mom's night table to make it higher so she can reach from her bed.

I since have acquired a friend's kitchen island top and added IKEA adjustable legs for waist height.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use a work bench that is adjustable in height. This one is 48x24 and a good size for the sewing room. I had a 72 inch WB but sent that to the garage. I have a wire basket under it to store notions.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/4ft-workb...lp_product_1_5

These also work well. Easier to adjust the table height according to your needs. The bar across the bottom would get in the way of extra storage.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52...DB12/301809830

3. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was a purchased 48" wide solid door from Home Depot latched on top of 2 discarded 36" wall cabinets. It is not collapsible but so wonderfully perfect height for cutting. This is in my quilting loft that I can't climb up to anymore. I had my cutting area on one end and my sewing machine close to the other end. There is a built in shelf that I put my foot control and trash bin on. I loved that set up. Oh the cost of getting old! It's not fun that's for sure! I have heard of people cutting the door in half to make a square so to save space.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 6' banquet table with PVC pipe extensions on the legs to make it higher.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djmrdwGcgQI
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

auntstuff, i agree! Same setup i have been using for years and works great! Easy on the back too.
    Donna

7. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to organise a small sewing room myself and had some great tips from the Forum. Have you seen this in Ikea ...

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/norden-...hite-10423886/

although I don't think I would like to sit at it with a sewing machine because of the legs but may work as a cutting table.
    I am also checking out Ikea hacks - some great ideas out there. Good luck

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I just got the ikea norden table mentioned off facebook marketplace last month. Still arranging my room so have not used it as a cutting table. I want the ability to fold down one side for more floor space. And it has a few drawers for small things.
    But I have used a basic folding 5' table on bed risers before for perfect height. I am 5' so my table height may be different than yours

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I would hesitate to recommend a folding card/buffet/craft show table. I have three that I used at craft shows and while they do go up higher than my waist, I found that when I put my cutting mat on it and tried to make long(ish) cuts, the table top would flex just enough that it wasn't making a very solid cut the whole length that I needed. I would say that the top of whatever table you use should be a more solid material than plastic or that padded stuff on some card tables. Maybe that means adding a piece of board from the home improvement store, or maybe it means getting a solid-top desk instead? I am very frugal myself but I really can't use that type of table - on it's own - as a cutting surface.