Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I Disliked Joining Strips - I Started Using QR's Mini-Triangle Ruler

Creative brains are not all wired the same way. What makes sense to one quilter may not necessarily work for another. That's why it's so important to learn different methods to achieve the desired results. Thayer Abaigael, thank you for sharing a tip that works for you. I guarantee that you have helped someone else who faces the same struggle. Personally, I always have to think hard about how to line up those strips and then where to sew. I'm going to give your method a try.

2. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I Disliked Joining Strips - I Started Using QR's Mini-Triangle Ruler

nice tutorial!. Thanks for sharing.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I am going to try this the next time as I often struggle with my binding strips.
    Debbie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    I meant the ends of the strips, not bias binding. When I cut the binding strips, I line all the strip ends up on the lines on my mat and cut them all in one fell swoop on a 45% angle, fast and easy.
    I took some pictures when I did this yesterday.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1064.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	160806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1065.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	160807

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Claire, I looked at your photo and also the photos on the original post. Your ends are a straight 45 degree cut. Hers it looks like she placed the ruler at both the 45 degree angle and 1/4 inch from the bottom edge of her ruler. Is this because she used a special triangle ruler? Does it make any difference, that is, is this just two different methods to achieve the same end result? I suppose I could just go find some scraps and practice but I have a headache from waiting 1.5 hours at the Soc. Sec. office and I am just lazy lol.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hers won't have as many dog ears but mine can be done for all the strips at once. It amounts to about the same thing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    Hers won't have as many dog ears but mine can be done for all the strips at once. It amounts to about the same thing.
    Thanks!! That's kind of what I thought.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Hers it looks like she placed the ruler at both the 45 degree angle and 1/4 inch from the bottom edge of her ruler. Is this because she used a special triangle ruler? Does it make any difference, that is, is this just two different methods to achieve the same end result?
    With my method, when I put my two ends together to sew, I can line up the bias edges exactly on top of each other, and I don't have to eyeball an offset for the 1/4" seam:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strip Bias Seams Getting Ready to Stitch - accented seam.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	160827

Also, when I am getting ready to cut the bias, I can stack a bunch of strips, as many as my rotary cutter will go through. If it's sharp, that can be upwards of a dozen, or so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strip Bias Seams Lining Up Fabric.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	160826  
    Last edited by Thayer Abaigael; October 4th, 2019 at 11:26 AM.