Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I Disliked Joining Strips - I Started Using QR's Mini-Triangle Ruler

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    I have always cut my strips on a 45% when I am have enough cut to size. I also press them in half before I join the lengths as it is so much easier to press a 40" strip than one that is 6 or 8 times that length. Then I just have to press the joins and roll it up to use later.
    I meant the ends of the strips, not bias binding. When I cut the binding strips, I line all the strip ends up on the lines on my mat and cut them all in one fell swoop on a 45% angle, fast and easy.

2. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I Disliked Joining Strips - I Started Using QR's Mini-Triangle Ruler

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    I drew a line on my machine for the seamline. As long as my notch from where the two strips cross stay on that line, the seam will be a perfect 45 degree angle. Much faster to sew first then cut.Attachment 160754
    This is the method I use. I have tried all the different methods. I get the most accurate results using the line drawn on the base of the sewing machine. With the table extension on my sewing machine I can do up to a 5" square.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    I drew a line on my machine for the seamline. As long as my notch from where the two strips cross stay on that line, the seam will be a perfect 45 degree angle. Much faster to sew first then cut.Attachment 160754
    This is the method I was using previously. However, for me, it meant that I was still having to "eyeball" the line and focus on keeping everything straight. Since I use my 1/4" seam piecing foot, that work is done for me, and I end up with a more accurate seam. And, like I said, my seams are already trimmed, so I'm off to the iron, straight away, without having take the time to bring everything back to my cutting table, realign, and trim my seams, and then take the whole thing over to my iron. This is especially helpful if I'm making a JR rug, and my joined strip is almost 50 yards long.

"Faster" can be such a subjective idea. One of my favorite things about this craft is that there are so many methods and techniques, so folks can find the best fit for them. I think of it in the same way Jenny talks about rulers, "Find the one that works for your eye." I only wanted to share a technique I came up with that made a task I found arduous, less so, in hopes that it might give another way for other folks who were still searching.
    Last edited by Thayer Abaigael; September 27th, 2019 at 12:41 PM.

6. Thanks auntstuff, MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this today - looks interesting.

https://cluckclucksewshop.com/produc...onal-seam-tape

8. Thanks Sharyn J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Carol, this is such a coincidence. I'm sewing snowballing corners and just put down a line of washi tape on my machine to help me. My tape doesn't have the nice lines that this does, but it is working well for me.

Jeannette

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyJnet View Post
    Carol, this is such a coincidence. I'm sewing snowballing corners and just put down a line of washi tape on my machine to help me. My tape doesn't have the nice lines that this does, but it is working well for me.
    Jeanette - I' m not sure what washi tape is. Can you give me a little more info on it and also - how do you know exactly where to place the tape to get an accurate 45 degree seam. Dumb questions I know, but I struggle with this so danged much.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol336 View Post
    Jeanette how do you know exactly where to place the tape to get an accurate 45 degree seam. I struggle with this so danged much.
    I know this feeling so much. It's why I searched for another way, so that I wouldn't have to work out the whole 45 degree angle while I was sitting at my machine.

The tape method is implemented by lining up the edge of the tape (or the markings if it's already printed on the tape), with your needle position, and then running it down the front of your machine.

I used this as my main method, but I would still have issues, and I had to spend time carefully lining up my pieces correctly. First, making sure my strips were positioned in the correct perpendicular, so that the seam would be stitched and the result would be a straight join, instead of a corner. Second, that I laid my pieces correctly, missing any selvages and that the long edges would line up. And third, that my stitch would stay straight, or else my strip would have a wonkiness at the join.

I believe that if I were a a master journeywoman quilter like many here, none of this would seem difficult.

Please believe me when I tell y'all, though, it has been a struggle, even after practicing and doing it a ton. At the risk of being kicked off the forum for being unseasoned, may I suggest that my method has been incredibly helpful to me and I only brought it here because I thought there may be another quilter who was struggling, too, and I wanted to give them this other option. I apologize and can delete my post.

12. Thanks cv quilter, auntstuff, MSN, am2901, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Washi Tape is decorative, removable masking tape. It comes in varying widths but most are small widths, like 1/2 inch. It comes in a bajillion different styles. You can get just about any pattern you can think of. https://www.scrapbook.com/store/prod...w=washi%20tape or https://www.etsy.com/search?q=washi%20tape

I placed it on my machine with the edge of the washi tape where the center line would be, for sewing corner-to-corner. But you could easily use it to mark your 1/4 seam. I don't quite understand how to use it for a 45 degree seam. I struggle with that too.

Jeannette

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thayer, your idea is brilliant. I am so incapable of joining strips successfully!

Also, welcome to the forum. Please don't think that other members who offered other ideas were crticizing your method. What you did was share a brilliant idea with, may I say, excellent photo-illustrations, and thus start a very interesting thread. You'll find that once one good idea is offered, like yours, other members will join in to share what's also worked for them. We all love your innovation!

And wherever you do, please don't delete your thread! I'm on the road and will need to refer back to your post when I get home!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

15. Thanks quiltingaway, cv quilter, auntstuff, MSN, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Never take offense when you post your ideas. We are all sharing and like all before me, some things work better for one than another. I enjoy reading all of the ideas and try to try them. Practice makes us all better. Believe me, when I first came to the forum, I had no idea how to do things...I mean nothing. I had made lots of quilts but none were better than warm blankets. Now, I think I have created some quilts worth saving.

17. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post