• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Cooking rice like pasta

I never really ate rice before I moved to Hawaii. I only had it when my dad would make a box of Uncle Bens. I've been here for 40 years and learned how to use a rice cooker with the measurements etc. I did the occasional stove top with the 'measurements' when a hurricane came thru.

Lately my rice (especially short grain brown, or hippie rice lol) has been really dry, overly chewy or burnt on the bottom. What happened? Couldn't figure it out and I wasn't going to get out the pressure cooker for one cup.

So I happened to see someone cook it like pasta. Oh my gosh it changed my rice life. I found it wasn't uncommon, but here in Hawaii everyone has at least one, more like three cookers.

No measurements, lids or fuss. Just a pot of salted water, as much rice as you want and a timer for what kind of rice it is. Ask me 'where have you been'? lol
    🌺 Lorie
  • KPH
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2015

Re: Cooking rice like pasta

That's good to know. My Grandma's friend would wash and look her rice like I'd look a bag of dried beans. She said it got rid of the excess starch. I think cooking it like pasta would do the same thing.
    Katrina
    From NC, retired in FL
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• bakermom
      Missouri Star
      • Sep 2010

Interesting.
      My rice was always a bit iffy. Then I got a microwave with a rice setting that actually gave me perfect rice. Sadly it died and the replacement gives disappointing results. pretty much gave up until I tried rice in my instant pot, oh so nice.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• chelea
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2012

Here's what I do to make white rice (only Uncle Ben's, never generic store brand): 1 part rice to 2 parts water, salt as you wish, boil until you see steam vents, turn to low, cover and simmer 10 min. Perfect rice every time.
        Michele
        ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
        To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• Bubby
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
          I never really ate rice before I moved to Hawaii. I only had it when my dad would make a box of Uncle Bens. I've been here for 40 years and learned how to use a rice cooker with the measurements etc. I did the occasional stove top with the 'measurements' when a hurricane came thru.

Lately my rice (especially short grain brown, or hippie rice lol) has been really dry, overly chewy or burnt on the bottom. What happened? Couldn't figure it out and I wasn't going to get out the pressure cooker for one cup.

So I happened to see someone cook it like pasta. Oh my gosh it changed my rice life. I found it wasn't uncommon, but here in Hawaii everyone has at least one, more like three cookers.

No measurements, lids or fuss. Just a pot of salted water, as much rice as you want and a timer for what kind of rice it is. Ask me 'where have you been'? lol
          So Lorie, do you just boil it and drain it? How long for well-done rice?
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            Missouri Star
            • Aug 2015

We have a rice cooker which we used mostly when we used to make our own sushi. Now it sits like other appliances unused.

First , DO NOT COOK rice in a pressure cooker with the lid on. All manufacturers warn against this as it can block the vent and well, bad things can happen.

Most of my rices I buy, I use 2 cups water or liquid to one cup rice. Sometimes I rinse it but not always. I add a tbsp butter and sometimes spices or 2tbsp dried vegetable soup mix. I bring to a boil, then reduce to low, cover with lid and cook for approx 10 mins. If liquid is all evorated I stop it and remove from heat.

Now you talk of hippie rice, I find some of these take longer, but same proportion 2 cups liquid to one cup rice. It's like most GF pastas, they don't ever go really soft. Somebody must have designed it that way - maybe better for us. Haha

My favorites are Basmati rice and Jasmine Rice.
            Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              What is hippie rice? Lol
          • Granny Fran
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2014

My nana always boiled her rice and drained it. I find steamed rice more to my liking however.
            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
            Aesop

Comment

• Hulamoon
              Missouri Star
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
              So Lorie, do you just boil it and drain it? How long for well-done rice?
              Pretty much. I looked at a ton of blogs and this one worked for me.
              A simple method to make perfect brown rice, every single time! Forget mushy, sticky, or undercooked brown rice—your brown rice troubles are now over!

One blog said to cook the short grain brown 45 min. I thought that's kind of long. I started at 25 like some said, but sure enough I liked it at 45. I actually spaced and forgot to check at 40, which would of been enough probably.

When draining I thought this is soupy and no way was it going to turn into fluffy rice. It was perfect. Some rice recipes like Mexican are toasted first and cooked in a tomato type water. This isn't going to work for that. Nothings perfect. lol
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

• URIBARRI-MAYOR
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2013

In my country rice is a great companion of both meat and fish dishes, but we have a special dish that we call "paella" and it is cooked in a kind of pan with two mangoes called "paellera", the paella can take vegetables, meat, fish or seafood and is very popular throughout Spain. Whit respect to the cooking time it is usually twenty minutes and another twenty of rest so that all the liquid is absorbed by the rice, which must have twice the liquid than of rice, so that a cup of rice corresponds to two of broth or water, and the fire should not be very strong. In my country competitions are held to see who makes the best paella and professionals come from all over the world. Here I put some pictures of paellas, one of them is from my town and you can see the river and the bridge that connects the two parts of the town, I hope you like the pictures and thanks for lookingPaella de marisco.jpgPaella vegetariana.jpgPaella en Plentzia.jpgpaellas Aixerrota.jpg

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                  Hillbillyhike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yummy! I've never had it but would enjoy it I think.

• Rhonda K
                  Rhonda K commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The dish looks fabulous. I would love to join you at the table.

• auntstuff
                  auntstuff commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have had this and "sort-of" learned to cook it. I love it.
              • Patty J
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2012

Uribarri, Thanks for posting the pictures. I was in Spain for a short time and tried some paella's and I've not found anywhere else where it tastes as good as I had in Spain. Thanks Pat

Comment

• cv quilter
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2015

Uribarri, The paella looks delicious, and the picture of your town and the river that connects the two section is Beautiful!
                  A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• Squeaky
                    Applique Angel
                    • Aug 2012

I tried boiling rice like pasta this weekend but I let it go too long. I set the timer for 40 minutes and it probably would have been perfect around 30-33. I used a mix of white and brown rice and had washed/rinsed it first, then added it to already-simmering chicken stock that I had pulled some poached chicken breast out of (didn't want it to go to waste and it was already well seasoned). It came out mushy, but still edible. Next time I'll check on it much earlier but I did like the ease of this method.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Squeaky View Post
                      I tried boiling rice like pasta this weekend but I let it go too long. I set the timer for 40 minutes and it probably would have been perfect around 30-33. I used a mix of white and brown rice and had washed/rinsed it first, then added it to already-simmering chicken stock that I had pulled some poached chicken breast out of (didn't want it to go to waste and it was already well seasoned). It came out mushy, but still edible. Next time I'll check on it much earlier but I did like the ease of this method.
                      I made a mistake too. I forgot to rinse the rice! Then I thought oh well the boiling will clean that. It didn't. lol It's harder to rinse cooked rice so I won't be forgetting that again.

We used to mix white and brown in the rice cooker to get the kids to eat healthier. That's a tricky one because of the different times. Maybe cook them separately or to much hassle?
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Squeaky
                        Applique Angel
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                        We used to mix white and brown in the rice cooker to get the kids to eat healthier. That's a tricky one because of the different times. Maybe cook them separately or to much hassle?
                        They both came out mushy, so I'm not sure if cooking them separately would have made much of a difference. I guess when I try again I could see if one cooks faster than the other, but if I can get them "close enough" I'd be very happy to have a bit of al-dente in there.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                          Missouri Star
                          • Sep 2020

I used to cook my rice in a Black and Decker steamer...for years! It made good rice. Now I do the pasta method. With basmati it especially works well. I cook my rice in broth or with veggies and herbs to create flavour. I save the broth for soups.
                          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Working...
                          X