Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cooking rice like pasta

Uribarri, The paella looks delicious, and the picture of your town and the river that connects the two section is Beautiful!
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I tried boiling rice like pasta this weekend but I let it go too long. I set the timer for 40 minutes and it probably would have been perfect around 30-33. I used a mix of white and brown rice and had washed/rinsed it first, then added it to already-simmering chicken stock that I had pulled some poached chicken breast out of (didn't want it to go to waste and it was already well seasoned). It came out mushy, but still edible. Next time I'll check on it much earlier but I did like the ease of this method.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I tried boiling rice like pasta this weekend but I let it go too long. I set the timer for 40 minutes and it probably would have been perfect around 30-33. I used a mix of white and brown rice and had washed/rinsed it first, then added it to already-simmering chicken stock that I had pulled some poached chicken breast out of (didn't want it to go to waste and it was already well seasoned). It came out mushy, but still edible. Next time I'll check on it much earlier but I did like the ease of this method.
    I made a mistake too. I forgot to rinse the rice! Then I thought oh well the boiling will clean that. It didn't. lol It's harder to rinse cooked rice so I won't be forgetting that again.

We used to mix white and brown in the rice cooker to get the kids to eat healthier. That's a tricky one because of the different times. Maybe cook them separately or to much hassle?

Lorie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    We used to mix white and brown in the rice cooker to get the kids to eat healthier. That's a tricky one because of the different times. Maybe cook them separately or to much hassle?
    They both came out mushy, so I'm not sure if cooking them separately would have made much of a difference. I guess when I try again I could see if one cooks faster than the other, but if I can get them "close enough" I'd be very happy to have a bit of al-dente in there.