Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Polyester fleece blanket batting?

I want to make a first quilt over the winter. I thought to de-terrorize myself regarding cutting up fabric I would begin with large squares of cotton sheeting for the quilt top. For the batting I want to use a polyester fleece blanket and then a cotton backing fabric. Is it ok to use a polyester fleece blanket as batting? I saw a thread about fleece and I wasn't sure if the person meant polyester fleece. TY.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Polyester fleece blanket batting?

I don't think it will be a problem. Are you using this as a practice piece?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Polyester and cotton fabrics will shrink differently
    when washed. It’s usually not a good idea to
    mix polyester and cotton fabrics.
    When you say cotton sheeting do you mean you
    are going to cut up a sheet? Generally cotton
    sheets have a different thread, count than
    the quilting cottons.

4. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but I also hope it is useable as a quilt for a spare room. Of course, the result may not be presentable...idk what will look acceptable to me or not. I was going to use old sheets to cut up that are solid nice colors, muted a tad from use. Is this a bad start?

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I always wash/dry everything first. I don't want any weird shrinkage issues. Thread count...idk...I planned to cut up old sheets into fairly large pieces as a practice quilt. I was planning to use all sheets cut into squares for the front with no quilting cotton yet. I don't want to waste money and this polyester fleece blanket is dirt cheap for batting first time quilter.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid, we used sheets, blankets, old clothes, whatever was available. Back then the sheets were cotton.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started quilting 15 years ago, I started with a friend. I had a neighbor that taught me to use great material all cotton. My friend cut corners and bought sheets for the backings of her first quilts. She also used poly batting. When she washed her quilts the poly fabric came thru the cotton. Just sharing.. sometimes the work you put in matters. I don't want you to have a bad experience. Quilting can be done on the cheap but mixing fabrics don't always turn out fantastic.

10. Thanks quiltingaway, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Why not? Cotton and poly are mixed in quilts all the time. Different rates of shrinkage? So what? I've never seen a quilt that didn't show some signs of shrinkage after washing. To get some experience cutting up some material and sewing it back together with some fabric you have on hand is A-OK. You might not attempt it or have as much fun with your first one if you had to go out and spend $50 on stuff. Used sheets? So? What else are you going to do with them? And, I see a lot of quilts where sheets would have been a better choice for piecing tops. Fleece blanket for batting? I don't see a problem. A few pokies? So? Use what you have and see what you get. It will be warm regardless, and you have had some practice- for free. It will be just fine.

You're new to quilting obviously. We need new quilters. One thing you'll find in this quilting world are folks that think there's only one way to do things. If we all started doing it "their way" we probably wouldn't have started. Don't fall for it and don't let it discourage you. Cut up what you got, sew it back together, then come back and show us and tell us how much fun you had.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    Why not? Cotton and poly are mixed in quilts all the time. Different rates of shrinkage? So what? I've never seen a quilt that didn't show some signs of shrinkage after washing. To get some experience cutting up some material and sewing it back together with some fabric you have on hand is A-OK. You might not attempt it or have as much fun with your first one if you had to go out and spend $50 on stuff. Used sheets? So? What else are you going to do with them? And, I see a lot of quilts where sheets would have been a better choice for piecing tops. Fleece blanket for batting? I don't see a problem. A few pokies? So? Use what you have and see what you get. It will be warm regardless, and you have had some practice- for free. It will be just fine.

You're new to quilting obviously. We need new quilters. One thing you'll find in this quilting world are folks that think there's only one way to do things. If we all started doing it "their way" we probably wouldn't have started. Don't fall for it and don't let it discourage you. Cut up what you got, sew it back together, then come back and show us and tell us how much fun you had.
    well said! Go for it!
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

13. Thanks Chantal thanked for this post