Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Polyester fleece blanket batting?

Just wanted to add this...sometimes it works & sometimes not. Don't get discouraged. You should see MY first 2 quilts!!!!! It's a true wonder that I kept going. My quilts won't win any prizes but everyone that's gotten one has loved it. BUT, the quilts IMHO, are really pretty. Even those that were a PITB to do, lol.

Gina

2. Thanks quiltingaway, Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a great idea for a first quilt to learn cutting and re-sewing. As for the fleece - I think all fleece is polyester and it does not shrink. It can be a challenge to work with as it is kinda stretchy so be careful not to stretch as you work with it and pin a lot. I have used fleece as the backing to a cotton pieced quilt top (no batting) and it has worked out and lasted beautifully. I think it is about 5 or 6 years old and I use it daily as my own snuggle quilt when I settle in for the evening or at nap time, it is washed frequently.
    I say go for it and if nothing else, you will have a good learning experience....first of many as we quilters well know.

4. Thanks Claire Hallman, Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with old man quilts. This can be an expensive habit and I have to admit my first couple quilts were far from things of beauty but I was still happy with them. It is like anything - practice helps. So I personally think your idea is great. Practice cutting fabric, sewing straight lines, your first attempt at quilting. Wish I had thought of that. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    Debbie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One time I used fleece (pre-washed) as the backing on a baby quilt. The top was flannel, which had been pre-washed. I used no batting. It really isn't needed when using fleece. Enjoy your practicing.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

If the sheets have already been washed, they have already shrunk. Generally poly fleece will not shrink at all because it is basically made of plastic. I doubt that you would have any kind of weird shrinking going on that would distort your quilt dramatically. Go for it, and don't forget to post pics.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made some souvenir "Linus Blanket" quilts for the cast of "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" and used only poly fleece for the backing/ batting. They turned out great and were just heavy enough for lap quilts. The beauty of fleece is that it is 58" wide and can be found on sale and so makes an inexpensive back. Warning, do not stretch it while you are sewing the top and backing together or your top will pucker and never lay flat.