Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruler quilting

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ruler quilting

Has anyone done ruler quilting. I thought I would give it a go using Archie by Angela Walters. She makes it look so easy so I thought I would give it a go. I have Janome 8200qcp Horizon a lovely sewing machine. I just piece together a pineapple design quilt so I thought I would free motion the top using Archie. I have had a big problem and that is it keeps missing stitches. I have spent days trying to solve this problem I have cleaned, change needle, change spool re threaded hundreds of time, change tension. The foot I have changed to Janome foot for quilting with rulers. I have become very frustrated but don't want to give up any ideas anyone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ruler quilting

I have a Sweet 16 and use rulers A LOT. It's the only way I can sew straight lines and also even curves and designs. I find that Ruler work is a bit slower than if I free motion but I love the results.

Do your stitches skip when you are not using the ruler? If not, it could be that you need to adjust the speed at which you move the ruler around. It does take practice. Maybe make a practice sandwich to work out the kinks. I don't know your machine, but sometimes it can be just a bit of lint in the bobbin area that cause issues. Tension on bobbin?

Good luck and don't give up.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do you see any pattern to your skipped stitches? For example, it only happens when I am going backwards, or only when I am going over a seam intersection, or only on a certain section of curves? There is a different solution for each one of these. It might be your thread. Some polyester threads do better with a thread net over them to give a more consistent tension. Any chance you are using batik fabric? That really does better with a top stitch needle. And always remember to increase your needle size up one size when free motion quilting, so probably at least a top stitch 80/12.

When ruler quilting I get the best result when I press down very firmly on the ruler.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping to grab some useful tips using rulers. I got a "set" and have yet to try them.

Sure enough, I was not disappointed with the "tips". Many Thanks!!

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I did change the foot to an open foot which came with the machine and did FMQ without the ruler and it was fine, but as soon as I changed the foot for ruler quilting it goes wrong. I'm using 80/12 needle with a good make of thread weight being 30. I have just done a line of straight stitches with the ruler foot and it looks ok but when i go backwards the stitches look like a straight line

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I did change the foot to an open foot which came with the machine and did FMQ without the ruler and it was fine, but as soon as I changed the foot for ruler quilting it goes wrong. I'm using 80/12 needle with a good make of thread weight being 30. I have just done a line of straight stitches with the ruler foot and it looks ok but when i go backwards the stitches look like a straight line. Archie is a curve template

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have it figured out. You are using a 30 weight thread. According to Superior Threads the correct needle for sewing (not free motion quilting) for 30 weigh thread is a top stitch #100/16.

https://storage.googleapis.com/vw-su...ence-guide.pdf

Good luck
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I did a quilt using 30 weight thread. Used a 100 /16 needle. 50 weight in the bobbin. Loved the way it came out. 30 is really thick, but it was right for the design.
    Diana Grey

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much I will have to purchase one tomorrow

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a low shank machine? I have a low shank Juki and the 1/4 inch ruler are too thick for my machine.
    Lyn