• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuzanneOrleansOntario
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2015

WIP - Sept 20-26, 2019

September is just flying away, last week already. What are you working on?

I didn't do much sewing as we were away, but Wed-Fri, I had a few hours to cut 30 tea towels of waffle weave. I wash the fabric, serge the edges, press and sew a seam all around. Then I cut strips of fabric to embellish them. Hopefully something that customers will want to give as hostess gifts or for themselves. I wrap them so that you can insert a bottle of wine or a can of maple syrup. I sew them production style, and I figure I have spent about 5 hrs so far.

I'm down to the last 10, with wine & cheese fabrics. I think I have 60 for the craft sale in Nov. Then I will focus on microwave bowls.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hope you are spending time in your happy place.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.
  • Claire Hallman
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Re: WIP - Sept 20-26, 2019

I have finished Emma's queen quilt and now on to one for DS and DIL.IMG_1054.JPG
    I have made many flying geese and have many more to go. I had to order more background since I couldn't find it locally so it has been shipped and I can make the rest. I can keep busy in the mean time trimming the geese I have already made to size.
    I made some pillow cases to go with the pink and then I made more for my guest bed. They are so very easy using the flat felled seam method and come out very professional looking.
    Today is football at our house so not much sewing until next week.
    Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• shermur
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2013

I started The NQC Happy Block Swap yesterday (the local quilt guild President is my swap partner).....I am Quilter 1 making 2 of the same blocks and she is quilter 2 making 2 of different blocks....https://www.nationalquilterscircle.c...17&vsoid=A5417

So far it is very fun! Here is my first block of 6 weeks (12 blocks total)....
      NQC Happy Block Swap Wk1 Block A 09.20.19 (800x763).jpg
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• DeniseSm
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

I just finished the Criss Cross pattern from the Midnight quilt show yesterday and posted a picture in Show and tell. Today I am starting a kit called The Courtyard. It is a medallion style quilt. I am juicing up the quilt to my own style by adding some Kaffe Fasset prints. It starts out with a 9.5 x 18.5 center and you keep adding borders until it is an enormous 102 x 93. This one is going to be fun.

100_5195.JPG

The center print is a Kaffe Fasset print called Forest of Arden in the red colorway. If anybody is interested (hit the Thanks/like button to show you are interested) I can take a picture for every round of new borders I add. It won't hurt my feeling if you aren't interested. Not everybody likes Kaffe Fasset or red.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Anitamae56
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2014

I am for interested , I like kaffe fassett fabrics. I hope I done it right by pushing button so I can see your progress.

Comment

• DeniseSm
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2013

Rhapsody In Red border 2
            100_5197.JPG
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• shataidow
              Beginning Stitcher
              • Aug 2018

i've been trying out layouts for black and white quilt blocks thumbnail_20190920_123549.jpg
              thumbnail_20190921_120525.jpgthumbnail_20190920_004813.jpg

Comment

• DeniseSm
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2013

It doesn't look it, but I spent 1.5 hours considering alternatives before I decided on this Kaffe Fassett fabric for the next border. The fabric is called Oriental Trees dated 2012.
                100_5199.JPG

According to the pattern this border is supposed to be half square triangle units, which I considered redoing as flying geese units to minimize cuts to the pretty focus fabric. By combining a flying geese unit with a half square triangle it is possible to wrap the units around the corner making a very pretty pattern. Ultimately I decided the fabric was prettier uncut. My quilt, my choice.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  Missouri Star
                  • Aug 2015

Oh Denise I love all the blocks. Each one draws you in for a closer look. I hope this one is yours to keep.
                  Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Sharyn J
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2012

Going to sew my backing together and hopefully get this sandwiched today. Emma's Garden fabrics have been sitting around here too long! I used the pool noodles last quilt to sandwich and it worked really well for me due to the limited space here in the condo so will do it again today.

Classic Coffee Cake pattern by Cozy Quilts makes it impossible to cut off your points. Love her patterns!
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Granny Judy
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2011

undr the needle BARN2019.jpg

I have always "rolled" my quilts after sandwiching them.. Last month I got a pool noodle. It is just too short for the size quilts I do, but perfect for the "baby" size quilts. So I'll keep it for them and the lap size quilts. Meanwhile, I'll keep "rollin" the bigger ones.
                      Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                      :icon_wave:

Comment

• Sharyn J
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Granny Judy View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]160692[/ATTACH]

I have always "rolled" my quilts after sandwiching them.. Last month I got a pool noodle. It is just too short for the size quilts I do, but perfect for the "baby" size quilts. So I'll keep it for them and the lap size quilts. Meanwhile, I'll keep "rollin" the bigger ones.
                        Get another pool noodle the same size diameter and connect them by rolling a magazine or newspaper inserted into each pool noodle. You can cut them to the extra length you need. It works for me. I don't normally quilt larger than twin size so my extensions are based on that length but it is possible to sandwich larger sizes with the noodle extension.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Sharyn J; September 22, 2019, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Granny Judy
                          Missouri Star
                          • Apr 2011

Sharyn J, Now why didn't I think of that!! ( smacks forehead with open hand). Thanks for the info.. hugs.
                          Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                          :icon_wave:

Comment

• Sharyn J
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Granny Judy View Post
                            Sharyn J, Now why didn't I think of that!! ( smacks forehead with open hand). Thanks for the info.. hugs.
                            Found the hint on the internet. I wrap the two ends with some masking tape to make sure the ends stay together until I' m done. The tape removes easily and no sticky residue.

Comment

• DeniseSm
                              Missouri Star
                              • Nov 2013

Rhapsody in Red border 4. This round of borders is the very annoying size of 5" x 45.5". I decided to go with Kaffe Fassett fabric Oriental Trees in the black colorway. The orientation or direction of the fabric is much more prominent in the black colorway than it is in the pink colorway I used in the previous #3 border. Consequently I took the extra time to cut and match the fabric to get the orientation correct and to get motifs to match up.
                              100_5205.JPG

This one darker border should really pop all the other colors.

Can you see the difference in orientation between border #3 which was all cut WOF and border #4 which was cut both WOF and length of fabric to preserve the orientation? I matched the green bush to wrap around the corner.
                              100_5207.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X