Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP - Sept 20-26, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I can't wait to see the whole thing Denise! You are a masterful piecer. I see your corner border #4 where that green bush was cut in the middle but you matched it EXACTLY on the side border.Great job!! Just wondering how you perfected that skill, were you an upholsterer or professional wallpaper hanger before you started sewing?
    I am a retired engineer. I am the first quilter in my family and I have done my learning through the internet. With the internet I have watched many different demonstrations on how to match pattern repeats in fabric. The one that finally clicked with me was a video by Jinny Beyer. My secret weapon to get patterns to match is Elmers washable school glue. I put a small dot on the edge I need to match up, slide the two fabrics until the pattern on the edge match, heat set the elmers glue, then sew.

If you have ever tried to do a mitered corner on a Jinny Beyer border print you know that at least one of the four corners will be off because of the way the fabric distorts when it is wrapped on the bolt. Occasionally two corners may be off. Jinny is the first video I saw where she addressed the fact that some portion of the fabric is going to get distorted. So she explained, just distort it back to get it to match up. Then block it or starch it so it takes the new undistorted set.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

2. Thanks cv quilter, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanation Denise. I will have to check out that Jinny Beyer video. She has some beautiful fabrics and uses great colors. I love it that you post so many pics of your work. Quilters love to see each other's work and I think we all get a little thrill out of noticing when things are really well done. We see quilts in a different way than how "normal" people look at them.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Denise for the tip. I love Jenny Beyer tutorials and her fabrics. One of my favorite LQS carries most, if not all, of her collections.

Threadnbr - welcome back. I figured you were really busy. I trust it was a successful show.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rhapsody in Red border 8.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5239.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	160744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5234.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	160745

Only two more borders to go. I am happy to say that I got my hands on 5 yards of suitable fabric for the backing. I should be able to combine those 5 yards with some of the other fabric from the kit that didn't get used on the front to piece a backing together.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post