Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a sewing machine

Hello,
    I need a new sewing machine. I went to the store and there are quilting sewing machine from $200 to @3000 dollars.
    When I asked the difference, mainly it was automatic thread cutter, automatic needle threader, a little bit larger arm width, Are all these additional features worth 2000 dollars?
    I quilt a lot but but for me (I don't sell) and my family. I do advanced quilts.
    My old machine did not have any of these features but it was 25 year old so I am not sure.
    I could repair my old Singer but I would pay $200... the price of a new one.
    I cannot find any good advice on the web site so I thought this forum could help me!
    Thank you in advance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need a sewing machine

Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes paying more gets you more. After doing lots of research I decided my best bang for the buck was a straight stitch only machine. They are low maintenance and hard to damage. For the best features I would consider the Janome 1600P. The Juki 2010Q is also very high quality, but does not have as many fancy feet. If you are budget limited but still want a high quality machine get the Brother 1500. It does not have a speed control like the higher end machines but will save you almost $500.

Go to a dealer and test dive each machine. Give it a real work out. Hands on is the best way to decide.

All these machine will go on sale at Black Friday if you can wait that long.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I inherited my sewing machine and it is a basic Janome not computerized and 20-ish years old. It sews plain seams fine but nothing fancy. Things it does NOT have but I would like:
    1. Needle up down
    2. Needle is fixed in center. Wish I could move it to left or right.
    3. Automatic Needle threader

I bet you are going to get a ton of suggestions from others. I think just start out by making a list of your "dream features." Hope you find the one you want.

4. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have Babylocks and got the Cresendo.. I'll admit it's more machine that I need. I would look into the Babylock Jazz. They have a #2 now. It's got a 12'' throat and no fancy stitches. I don't know the price though.
    https://www.babylock.com/machines/sewing/jazz

I guess it does have other stitches, but not the 300 that comes on the more expensive models.
    Last edited by Hulamoon; September 21st, 2019 at 01:39 AM.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For piecing, a straight stitch only machine is the way to go. If you do garment sewing, you may want some more features. I love vintage machines and they are readily available for as little as $20. There are facebook groups that can answer questons about specific models.
    Donna

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still using a 1952 Singer and a 1983 Singer. They are worth repairing.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

8. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I found the inexpensive singer a complete waste of money.
    The one we got was the singer confidence. It cannot sew over anything that is more than 2-3 layers of cotton without big issues.

I found a used Brother quilting machine and am much happier with it.

I agree with hands on and give it a real workout.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum.

If you plan to use it only for piecing and sewing, there's no need to spend big money on fancy stitches or embroidery. One thing I have found essential is the larger harp since I originally planned to sew all my quilts on it. I have the auto threader but don't use it as I have broken it 3 times now. I don't have the auto cutter and I think this might have saved thread but instead I user scraps as leaders and enders. It's not necessary.

When I sewed clothing, extra stitches and feet were essential. Now, they sit, as I rarely use.

If you have a vintage mechanical Singer, it may be worth the cost repair it. I recently picked up a 1923 Singer and it sews like a gem.

Good luck in your search.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

NotSoNew- Welcome to the forum and I do hope you come back and use this great resource. Many "first timers" don't, so we don't sometimes get to the bottom of your/their issues.

I'm gonna get this outta the way right off the bat. Don't waste your money on a new Singer! If your current machine does mostly what you need, you're better off spending money on the repair. Some "vintage" machines are worth fixing more than others, so some questions- What model do you have? What problems are you having? Is the $200 repair estimate based on a personal hands on evaluation by the "mechanic," or a general phone quote? $200 doesn't buy you much labor these days but your issue could be fairly simple and take the mechanic 15-20 minutes to fix. It's also possible you could do it yourself. Again- what are the issues?

Are the $2000 machines worth the money? (BTW- two grand isn't even near the top end of sewing machine prices.) So, are they worth it? It depends- if the only way you can get the few features that you actually use is to spend the bucks, it is. Peoples needs vary, so opinions vary. I'd suggest you do some research and testing those features out before you lay down the bucks. After you become familiar with the features evaluate your real needs. It could save you some money.

I won't start my rant on SM manufacturers just yet but will say... As the price goes up, so do their profits. I don't begrudge them their profit, but... we're not getting the best bang for our buck- they are. In this day of computer operated machines they are able to add a lot of those features and stitches for very few buck, but we pay hundreds extra for them. On the other hand- if the mfr's let the market drive them, they may not stay in business.

After using machines off all types I find my real needs to be few. I find it in vintage "mechanicals" with a couple stitches that I actually use in the sewing process- piecing quilts, garment construction, and HD use. For the most part my (one) computerized machine sits except for the one operation I have it set up for. My "daily driver" is a Viking from the late 60's. It is way more satisfying and useful than any of the new stuff.

I'm not really a collector of vintage machines but I have few. Mostly now I buy mid-century European stuff because I feel they are as good as it gets, and I love re-furbing them.

NotSoNew- Unless you have money to throw away, evaluate what your needs really are. You'll get plenty of answers and opinions on the forums. That's my opinion.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

12. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother SQ 9130 from Walmart. Awesome quilting sewing machine , I am very happy with it,. I saw a you tube video and learnt a lot of extras the manual didn't mention