Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need a sewing machine

decide what features are important to you. Needle threader, auto cutter, large harp, dec. stitches etc. If you only need straight stitch for piecing and quilting the Brother 1500 or Juki 2010 may be for you. If you do garment sewing too you will want a dependable buttonhole, zigzag etc. A light weight machine to take to class? look at the brother PRW or the new Eversewn machines. WHat works for me may not be the right choice for you.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have always found that the simplest machine that will do the job is the best investment. Much less that CAN go wrong, and they seem to hold up better.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have Bernina computerized machines. I would never
    buy anything else. You get what you pay for.
    $200 machines are disposable machines.
    They will last a couple years. Then you are
    right back where you started.
    Invest in a good machine. There are great
    Used machines available.
    Go to machine dealers, sew on different
    name machines and then sew on a $200
    machine. You will see the difference.
    A good computerized machine will last
    a long time. My suggestion is a used
    computerized machine, I love the Bernina.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bernina2 View Post
    I have Bernina computerized machines. I would never
    buy anything else. You get what you pay for.
    $200 machines are disposable machines.
    They will last a couple years. Then you are
    right back where you started.
    Invest in a good machine. There are great
    Used machines available.
    Go to machine dealers, sew on different
    name machines and then sew on a $200
    machine. You will see the difference.
    A good computerized machine will last
    a long time. My suggestion is a used
    computerized machine, I love the Bernina.
    I disagree that you get what you pay for. I think some of the more expensive machines are marketed to make people believe they Need something like this to produce better work. Yes, I'm sure they sew very well but you can also get machines in the hundreds instead of thousands that also sew very well. I don't believe they are junk or disposable just because they are in the hundreds. That is almost a snotty statement that you need to pay more to get better quality. Frankly, probably not many people can afford the high end Berninas. I have a Brother PC420prw that I've been using for 7 years now and I love it. I also have a straight stitch only Singer S16 (equivalent to the Janome 1600). I like it too as it is very fast and powerful and flies over bulky seams. The Brother is my go-to machine though as it is super easy to thread and my 13 year old daughter likes it as well. Each of these machines I bought online and they were only $300-$400. Get a machine that you are comfortable with, that you can afford or justify paying the price for. My new Singer is great but the older ones are super solid. I wish I had my Mom's old Singer as I don't know what my family did with it. If you can get your Singer serviced, and you are happy with the way it sews, then it would be worth getting it fixed.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

5. Thanks Babs quilts, MSN thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with many here, and go and sew on a bunch of machines. And don't feel like you have to get all the bells and whistles at the start. A simple machine will let you quilt, and after a while, you'll get to see exactly what you want/need, and them go get a more advanced machine that fits the bill.

And find a store that also does repair, because even the best machine can have issues that are beyind our regular maintenance skills. These stores often get alot of trade ins, which can be the best for a new sewer. Talk to the folks in the local guild and see if they'll let you try out their machines, too.

I'm a Bernina gal, and quilt with my 1130s (I have 3) and 1230s (I have 2), using the #57 foot for piecing (Bernina has a foot for every kind of project you'd wish to tackle). The stitching is accurate and exact, has a needle up/down button, good speed control, and a knee lift. I've also tried my hand with free motion quilting with it, and it was a very good experience. The 1130 is an all-metal workhorse of a machine and has a good amount of speed and torque, so I can sew through lots of layers (like when I make JR rugs) and heavy weight fabrics. They have held their value, and are often expensive (considering they're a 30+ year old machine), but I've kept an eye out and picked up additional machine at real bargain prices, like $200-$300 (hence why I have 3 - ).

I've let people who are geographically close come and try out my Berninas, because they run and feel different from new machines. Some have become Bernina converts, some have not. It's all good, and "Get in where ya fit in!"

I recently picked up a previously owned 580 and a BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) and excited (and nervous!) to try more free motion quilting with it!
    Last edited by Thayer Abaigael; September 23rd, 2019 at 11:18 AM.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you OldManQuilt.
    I have a Singer Futura 850 (not sure of the number and not close to me). It is a embroidery/sewing machine
    I just had it serviced 6 months ago,
    The thread get caught in the bobbin and makes a big mess, I have to cut usually the fabric.
    The guy who serviced it (the only place in my huge town who does singer) cleaned it and changed the bobbin case and did some adjustments... and charged me $225. (I service the machine - clean and oil I guess - every year for $75)
    The machine still does not work at high speed and thread still get caught.... well I wasted $225 and nothing.
    So I am not sure if it is a bad machine or not. I have it for 12 years (not 25 my bad!)
    It is doing exactly what I want... when it works :/
    I really did not have any problem since last year when the wheel did not want to turn (the mechanic said it needed to be oiled, something I could not do where it was working - I guess close to the belt... if there is a belt - ) Thread would get caught in bobbin once in a while on the embroidery function (when running extremely high number of stitches per minutes) But after I serviced it, it is all the time.

I found at the Janome place where I look for a new machine that they could look at it but they are not Singer. I wonder how much they are going to charge me again...

But I'll take your advice and try and see the features I need.

If you have any idea for the issue with my Singer let me know!
    thank you

8. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If the embroidery isn't working properly either are you looking to get a combo embroidery/sewing?

For about $400 (i got it cheaper on sale a few years ago), the Brother SE400 was a work horse. It ran smoothly and it had a lot of options I loved (prior I had an old old machine that didn't have any of that new fangled stuff :-). I don't think I could do without the speed control anymore. I now hate using a foot pedal. It had a thread cutter, needle up/down, needle threader plus the speed control. I have to say I loved the machine although the embroidery can only do 4x4.

Now the bad news......somewhere in the third year the up/down on the needle plate stopped working and unfortunately it was a part inside the machine that would have had to be replaced. Apparently this was all but impossible to do or it would have cost more than a new machine. hummmm, well that wasn't good.... After research apparently other owners of the machine have had the same problem. Fortunately I can still at least use it as an embroidery machine but for regular sewing it's a no-go. Since I really don't have extra money I opted to get a cheaper sew only machine. I purchased a Brother CE60001 at about $157. I could have found something cheaper but I refused to give up the speed control feature (no more foot pedals for me). It does have a needle threader and an up/down needle feature. I don't think it runs as smoothly as the SE400 and I don't think the needle threader works as well. The other thing I'm not thrilled with is you have to set the stitch regular immediately or the needle does not line up with the hole in the plate. I still sometimes forget so I ruin needles when I forget. But like I said..I still get to use my embroidery on the SE400 :-)

PS: I forgot ..both machines had a fair amount the the fancy stitches as options too.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - I bought a Brother PQ1500SL about 5 months ago and I could not love it any more! It is for straight stitching only, but I bought it so that I can do my own free motion quilting, and it works perfectly for that. i still have my older computerized Kenmore for fancy stitching, but for piecing and quilting only, i really like the Brother. It was $600 and I was able to order thru Walmart in case I did't like it and could return it, and it ships free to your home (it is a little heavy It also has the wider arm space for holding those rolls of quilts. I have not had a single issue or malfunction yet. I make a lot of things like hot pads that have multiple layers and it goes thru them like butter. Love this machine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAFDesigns View Post
    Hi - I bought a Brother PQ1500SL about 5 months ago and I could not love it any more! It is for straight stitching only, but I bought it so that I can do my own free motion quilting, and it works perfectly for that. i still have my older computerized Kenmore for fancy stitching, but for piecing and quilting only, i really like the Brother. It was $600 and I was able to order thru Walmart in case I did't like it and could return it, and it ships free to your home (it is a little heavy It also has the wider arm space for holding those rolls of quilts. I have not had a single issue or malfunction yet. I make a lot of things like hot pads that have multiple layers and it goes thru them like butter. Love this machine.
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Brother PQ1500SL and it is a very reasonable price. I love the Brother machine I have.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina