Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question about craft fairs

FWIW, I just do the two very local fairs. It's a learning process and frankly you cannot always tell what people are interested in from one year to the next. The first fair I paid for one booth space and I sold a whopping $5 that day. The booth cost me $25. Granted I was very discouraged but then thought well I was able to hand out my cards and I really initially saw it as an opportunity to let people locally know I do this type of thing. Also I had brought almost all quilts and nothing else. I decided not to call it a total bust and give it another try the next year. While I still brought as many quilts the next time I also brought a lot of smaller items since I had noticed that the previous year the clientele were for the most part purchasing items that cost them $25 and under. I sold a total of $250 that year and actually did sell one quilt. But I also noticed that almost everyone who was purchasing were purchasing only handmade soaps or outdoor Christmas decorations. This is my fourth year and I usually sell one or two baby quilts or lap quilts along with the smaller items I take with me. Don't discount how much those smaller items do add up in your profit margin!! While my sales still run around $300 I also have begun to get more people contacting me to make things like memory quilts and things like sewing lessons so I think those two one day craft fairs are worth my time. I generally am just looking to have enough to help with my winter fuel bill and a few extras (yeah more fabric!).

For what's it's worth I did increase my booth size the second year and I think it helped that people could walk around inside a booth space. I think they browse more that way.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question about craft fairs

I priced a craft fair that I used to sell at that's not too far from home. They are now a juried event and charge $35for an application non refundable if they don't accept you. I declined