• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geegeequilts
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2015

fabric storage boards

Trying to get my fabric organized in my new cabinets. Key word there...trying. Is there a "best" storage board you'd recommend? Can you use those poster boards cut? Is that a good idea? The fabric organizer boards seem to be a bit pricey. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S. Oh Barb/Bubby are you available to help? LOL!

Gina
  • Babs quilts
    Binding Belle
    • Sep 2018

Re: fabric storage boards

Are you looking to have a stiff piece to wrap fabric around?

I saw a video a while back by Alanda Craft using the foam poster board or maybe it was the corrugated plastic cut down to the needed size.
    Just be cautious of super sharp edges.

Just sharing my fabric storage ideas. I hope it helps you organize your fabrics. No pins!!! Have fun organizing your fabrics.

Not Alanda but same idea.
    Last edited by Babs quilts; September 16, 2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

I think most use Comic book boards. I got mine on Amazon, but it was so long ago I forget which one it was.

🌺 Lorie

Comment

• minipinlady
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2018

I bought magazine backings at the local comic book store for my fabrics. Then I went to the dollar store and bought fabric covered cardboard cubes to place each fabric in . The cube box holds them all perfectly. I just turn it on it's side to see the fabrics better. Works great and was quite cheap.[ATTACH=CONFIG]160632 SAM_7740.jpgSAM_7741.jpg
        Ignore price on magazines backings , that's a Canadian price, and we always pay double to triple American costs
        Attached Files
        Last edited by minipinlady; September 16, 2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Squeaky
          Applique Angel
          • Aug 2012

I use comic book boards for fat quarters and half yards or less, but I use Styrofoam boards from the dollar store (cut down to fit my shelves) for anything larger than a yard. I just can't see a comic book board being able ot hold 2, 3, or even 5-6 yards of fabric because it's too thin and flimsy.

This is also a quick way of knowing that I definitely have at least a yard of any fabric if it's still on a thicker board - so it cuts down time when I'm "shopping my stash" for a project.

Comment

• Rhonda K
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2017

You may not need the expense of the boards. For yardage, I ruler fold on a 6.5 inch ruler. Then fold the fabric in half. These stack on the closet shelf.

For fabric that is approx fat quarter size, I use a 5 inch ruler and then fold into 5 inch squares. These stack upright in a plastic pantry bin. The bins are approx 16" long and 6" wide. The bins hold charm packs and fat quarters.
            Just one more stitch...

Comment

• minipinlady
              Missouri Star
              • Dec 2018

Rhonda I like your way of doing things, I will have to try that. It sounds like I could store more compact than I am already.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Rhonda K View Post
                You may not need the expense of the boards. For yardage, I ruler fold on a 6.5 inch ruler. Then fold the fabric in half. These stack on the closet shelf.
                This is how I fold my yardage. No expense and neat. image.jpg
                Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
                X