Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quilt Culture

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilt Culture

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilt Culture

This is the first time I hear of the Quilting Cowboy, but I feel sorry that any individual has had to post a video on the negative treatment that he has received by a few in the quilting world.

I don't feel that it's only older generations that may have been critical, there are plenty of people of different ages, beliefs who express negativity. It's unfortunate that he will not be able to affiliate with Windham, but there are many others he can market to.

A little kindness to everyone.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

3. Thanks quiltingaway, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have rarely encountered the quilting negativity that he has seen. It makes me sad. I want to support what he says about taking a stand by shaming people who act without love. I would like your opinion on shaming others who act without love. Is saying "Bless your heart" (this is a very negative thing to say in the south) and then shunning them sufficient? I have a hard time being mean.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks cv quilter, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    Is saying "Bless your heart" (this is a very negative thing to say in the south) and then shunning them sufficient? I have a hard time being mean.
    Denise - I didn't realize someone telling me 'Bless your heart' was a mean thing. But then again I am French, so a lot of the English sayings / expressions I didn't hear growing up, and don't always get.

My GF who is from east coast recently told me one I remember when you have guests that don't leave. "Another cup of tea before you go"? I'm glad she's never said that to me.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

How very sad that he has experienced such treatment.
    Everyone has a choice. If someone does not approve of him/his lifestyle they simply need not purchase his line of fabrics or watch his videos.

Everyone should be allowed to have success and enjoyment of their lives.

If I like a fabric I will buy it regardless of who designed it.

I will never understand why some people hold so much hate for things that truly do not impact them.

Personally I believe people could benefit from lifting each other up rather than tearing them down.

8. Thanks Claire Hallman, quiltingaway, cv quilter, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of Dale before, nor seen any of his work. I find him interesting and I wish him success. To judge someone or to be negative toward them because of race, color, or any other reason is wrong. Truth be known, some of the prominent fabric designers may be gay. So what!!!! We all love beautiful fabric and creating something beautiful with it. We as quilters are creating beautiful quilts and works of art. Who really cares what our sexual orientation is??? We are a creative, loving, giving and talented community.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

10. Thanks Babs quilts thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    Denise - I didn't realize someone telling me 'Bless your heart' was a mean thing. But then again I am French, so a lot of the English sayings / expressions I didn't hear growing up, and don't always get.

My GF who is from east coast recently told me one I remember when you have guests that don't leave. "Another cup of tea before you go"? I'm glad she's never said that to me.
    Suzanne, "Bless your heart" isn't so much a "mean" comment, it's more of a shamming. Usually said after someone has said or done something rude or insulting, so instead of stooping to their level us southerners will say "Bless your heart" - it's our way of getting around that "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything" rule - LOL

12. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

wow, i've never ever thought of Bless Your Heart as a terrible thing to say and I'm Southern. I got in trouble for calling a moderator Hon. She said it was degrading. sigh.
    anyway, have a great day everybody.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to counter some of the negativity he has experienced. I called Wyndham and told them I was excited to see his collection. I found out it is being released at Quilt Market in October.

Jeannette

15. Thanks Caroline T. thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity to know what the issue was, I went to Dale's Facebook page, and found this post (name redacted for privacy):

"***** felt it necessary to provide me with the following feedback prior to unfollowing me. While I don't disagree with what she's saying I also think it's important that I am able to respond in case anyone else has the same concerns. From *****: I am just letting you know i am leaving your group. At first i was thinking i would get a different view of quilting patterns and tips from a man's point of view. What i have seen isn't what i am needing, just thought i would let you know and not just fade away. I have received your posts for some time but what I'm seeing most is"look at me.. oh and buy my patterns". You have many followers so must be doing what they want. Good luck.
    -My response: I'm buried in projects that I cannot share until it's made public. I'm sorry you don't realize the work that goes into all of this behind the scenes... so yes, I post a lot of fluff and filler while I'm trying to meet these design deadlines. No one pays me to do all of this, I do this FB Page out of the goodness of my heart. I wish at this time I could post more of what I'm actually working on but until Quilt Market in October, that's just not possible. Next time feel free to leave without the side criticism. I am really trying my best."

From reading the comment in the FB post, Windham has not dropped Dale (Quilting Cowboy) and he even states that Windham has been very supportive! It also appears from the comments that this one person, *****, is the only one who has made negative comments to Windham regarding Dale.

Personally, I think she should have just quietly left his FB group, but since she felt the need to comment on his style of postings on HIS FB site, I think Dale would have felt better is he had just ignored her remarks, but since he didn't, a good 'ol fashioned southern "Bless your heart" would have been more appropriate (LOL) and would have made him feel better!

17. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post