• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Babs quilts
    Binding Belle
    • Sep 2018

Cutting my table for a drop in machine.

So I decided to fix my sewing set up. On a very tight budget...

I already converted a cubicle desk that was given to me into a cutting table. It has a nice big top now.

Here is the plan...
    I have a kitchen base cabinet from a remodel someone did. Yes it is to tall. I will cut off the toe kick making it 31" tall.
    I got a very heavy (but wobbly) conference table from goodwill.
    I have a sturdy shelf I can mount for the machine to sit on.
    I have material to make a sturdy leg for the end without the cabinet.

The questions become......

Which side to put the drawers on left or right?
    How far back should the sewing/quilting machine sit?

The drawer base is 18" wide so that leaves a lot of space on the right of the machine if I put it there.
    Would that be a good place for an ironing pad or to inconvenient?

Either side still allows good access to my plug in underneath.

Please share your thoughts before I grab that jig saw. I sure don't want to mess it up.
  • Bernina2
    The Guild President
    • Oct 2014

Re: Cutting my table for a drop in machine.

It may help to go to a local store that sells your machine
    and look at the cutouts they have in their tables.
    You may be able to make a template with a
    large piece of paper.
    My table has a drawer and a cabinet for storage
    on the left. Because the plug in For my machine
    is on the right and my knee lift is on the right.
    Also keep in mind after you cut the hole out you
    will have to have a board for your machine to
    sit on and a plastic piece to fit around your
    machine. Your machine will sit several inches below
    the table top, you need to cover this area.
    Good luck with your project.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2012

The opening in my Arrow cabinet begins 3-1/2" from the front of the cabinet. The drawers are on the right. But I think if you're creating your own table, I'd put the drawers on the left. You want as much table space to the left as you can get. My Arrow has substantial space to the right and, quite frankly, it's a waste of space.

Bernina2 is correct, that you want a plastic piece to fit around your machine. I bought one custome made by Arrow, and it cost about $100!!!! I don't even own the machine anymore for which the insert was made, so that's $100 thrown away. Here's what I've done for subsequent machines: I use the extension table made for the machine! Sure, my surface isn't completely flat, but the 6" around the needle is. I just set the height of the machine platform to put the sewing surface at the level of the extension table, which is a bit higher than the cabinet surface. Now my cabinet works for all my machines, not just one with a custom insert.

Since you'll be putting in your own support for the machine, please keep in mind that you want the machine bed to sit level with the extension table, not your conference table.

Good job re-purposing tables and cabinets and keeping things out of the landfill!
      Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• DeniseSm
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

I too used a jigsaw to make my own drop in for my sewing machine. I like my machine as far forward and as much right on the table as possible (leave as much space open on the left as possible). I would like to recommend that you use a round drill on the corners first and then jigsaw into the predrilled rounded corners. Turning a smooth corners with a jigsaw is tough going.

cuttingtableComp.jpg

I set my sewing machine on the top of the table and traced around the bottom with a sharpie so I knew which size shape to cut out.
        Last edited by DeniseSm; September 15, 2019, 01:47 PM.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Granny Judy
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2011

Wow, you sure got a great project on your list for today. I wish I had gotten a "cut out" sewing cabinet; but, my Janome came with a large plastic/re-moveable/ adjustable height table that surrounds the machine. Just have to put a thick "booster"cushion in my chair so My shoulders and arms don't "quit" on me.

Most cabinets have drawers and storage on the right side with an extension leaf on the left (as you face your cabinet). I added a 3/4 inch ply wood top to my adjustable ironing board and recovered it for ironing large pieces of fabric,, tops, backs and strips. It is set up on the left of me as I sew to hold the large projects I quilt and put together. It also works as a cutting table when I flip it over ( I glued a large cutting board to the under side of the plywood)

The whole top/ironing board can be taken apart and stored on edge and out of the way when I need to put things away.

I suggest you remember to make room for a knee controller and space for a drink, pin cushion, and extra scissors on that right side. Even if you don't have a knee controller, It still is nice to have that extra space for future machines.
          Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
          :icon_wave:

Comment

• KarenC
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2015

I prefer my machine far right (I am right handed), with my drawers on the left. This gives more room for the fabric I am stitching to sit on while I am sewing. The sight below can give you an idea of the cost of the insets. They are not cheap, but worth it, in my opinion. Good luck with your project. I was fortunate to get my current cabinet from a friend at a garage sale.

Premier Stitching, formerly SewVacDirect, offers Sewing Machines, Embroidery Machines, Long Arm Quilting Machines, Quilt Frames, Sewing Machine Cabinets, and Sewing Supplies from brands like Brother, Juki, Bernette, Janome, and more!
            Karen
            Spring, TX

Comment

• Babs quilts
              Binding Belle
              • Sep 2018

All great feedback! You all are awesome!

I did get the insert included with my machine. I feel really blessed to have such a great machine and to have bought it from such nice people. The inserts are very costly for sure.

Ok so.....a plan kind of.
              I will try a dry run with it set up drawers to the right then drawers to the left. Easy enough to do before cutting that hole. It will mean a few "extra" screw holes in the underside but no harm there.

The finished table height will match up with my cutting table for extra quilt support space.
              I am thinking that may make having my machine closer to that side more effective....maybe.

It would be a very long while looking for another too to cut so I definitely don't want to mess it up.

I will post a pic of my rig up once it is done. Nope it won't be pretty but it should be functional.

Comment

• bubba
                Missouri Star
                • Mar 2013

I put my drawers on the left, as I am left handed. Put them wherever is most convenient for your use.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Devchdm
                  Binding Belle
                  • Oct 2015

I used this site http://blog.bluedinosaurs.com/p/sewing-table.html?m=1

Comment

• Devchdm
                    Binding Belle
                    • Oct 2015

I used this site http://blog.bluedinosaurs.com/p/sewing-table.html?m=1. My table looks like this:

Comment

• Babs quilts
                      Binding Belle
                      • Sep 2018

I like that extra outfeed space! That gives me ideas for a future upgrade. Maybe I can do a drop leaf add on to the back of the sewing table later on.
                      I think with planning a bit it can work. I would have to pull the table away from the wall but that is doable!

Comment

• Bernina2
                        The Guild President
                        • Oct 2014

Be sure to put your machine as far right as you can.
                        You need the area to the left of your machine
                        As an open area for your fabric as you piece
                        your quilt.

Comment

• oldmanquilts
                          Designer Diva
                          • May 2018

Something not often considered- when you are sewing your body is not centered on the needle position. Normally it's a bit to the left a few inches so the stitching line is somewhere between your nose and shoulder. A misplaced table leg or cabinet will make this uncomfortable so be sure you have room to the left for your legs and chair. A lot of smaller cabinets don't take this into consideration and sometimes you have to straddle a table leg, or whatever.
                          You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Babs quilts
                            Binding Belle
                            • Sep 2018

A very good point about the room needed as we are sewing and where that sew line is in relation to our body.

I have not yet had time to secure the cabinet and cut that hole thankfully.

My dry run did reveal I like the machine more to the left though. The space to the right of the machine is going to be big enough for a couple
                            small WIP totes.
                            I found having a small ironing station to the right will work well for me. I will build one on locking swivel casters so I can roll it under when not needed.

All kinds of good points to consider before cutting that hole, knee lift space, body space, wasted space, room for block pieces, room for outfeed, and how it will work for me.

Comment

• Babs quilts
                              Binding Belle
                              • Sep 2018

I got that hole cut and the machine in!!

IMG_20190918_132704.jpg
                              IMG_20190918_131822.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X