• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chaswp54
    Honey Bun
    • Sep 2019

A few customized quilt labels

I am making 2 quilts, one each for my two grandbabies. I want to put a label on each of their quilts, with the made for name, with each's name. The last quilt I made for my first grandbaby I used a permanent fabric marker and did a decent job on a piece of fabric and then sewed to the quilt. I don't know how long those permanent markers last when those quilts get washed on a regular basis, but am looking into a different way of doing it this time around.

I do not have an inkjet printer, so that option isn't going to work. I did some searches for custom labels, and the prices are just too high, understandably so because they are custom for just one or two.

What are some other options if any? I can always do another hand written label like the first one, but again... I'm just not confident those permanent fabric markers are good for the long haul.

Appreciate and advice once again.
    Thanks
  • The_Last_Unicorn
    Batting Beauty
    • May 2016

Re: A few customized quilt labels

What about iron-on letters or fabric paint with or without a stencil? Maybe seal any fabric paint or ink with something like Scotch Guard?

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

Did you check Etsy? They have some good sellers you could work with.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• AMG
        The Guild President
        • Apr 2015

I've started making labels using cross-stitch. I have a basic backstitch alphabet that I use and I draft it on graph paper. I use a smaller stitch length to see it on to the back- I go around twice just in case.

Comment

• chaswp54
          Honey Bun
          • Sep 2019

I briefly looked at Etsy, but only for a few minutes. Had been looking on and off all day and kind of hit burn out at that point for a while anyway,.

Comment

• Bubby
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
            Did you check Etsy? They have some good sellers you could work with.
            I found some wonderful customized labels on Etsy for two wedding quilts I made recently. Just go to Etsy and do a search for Quilt Labels.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• chaswp54
              Honey Bun
              • Sep 2019

Thanks all. Looked at Etsy and although they have very nice ones, most of them are entirely too much for what I am doing. Thanks again for the replies.

Comment

• bubba
                Missouri Star
                • Mar 2013

Is it possible for you to hand or machine embroider them yourself?
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
                  Batting Beauty
                  • May 2016

Brother has a new label maker that will print on ribbon. Neat!

I found some Etsy options that start out pretty cheap, ~$4 to $5:
                  ***Please message me before you place an order. Thank you! Custom Quilt Label or Quilt Block, designed by you! Add even more value to your quilt and record important information with a quilt label, personalized, embroidered and mailed to you by me. If your quilt is a gift, include a special verse

Find the perfect handmade gift, vintage & on-trend clothes, unique jewelry, and more… lots more.
                  Last edited by The_Last_Unicorn; September 14, 2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• MSN
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2017

I agree that embroidered labels will last as long as the quilt. If you don't want to do cross-stitch, you can write them using a fine-point pencil or marker and hand-embroider using a simple backstitch. A bonus is that the label is then done in your own handwriting, which is especially important for family.

Comment

• chaswp54
                      Honey Bun
                      • Sep 2019

Thanks again all. Unfortunately I do not embroider. This old guy barely pulls off sewing in a straight line. I can hand sew my bindings to finish off and they turn out pretty good. I think I'm just going to use the permanent fabric marker again. I did a really good job with it the last time. My only concern was just how permanent they really are.

Comment

• Granny Fran
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2014

You could always give the marking pen with the quilt to have them 'refresh' the writing if it wears out.
                        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                        Aesop

Comment

• goldenrose_diana
                          Fabric Fanatic
                          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by chaswp54 View Post
                          Thanks again all. Unfortunately I do not embroider. This old guy barely pulls off sewing in a straight line. I can hand sew my bindings to finish off and they turn out pretty good. I think I'm just going to use the permanent fabric marker again. I did a really good job with it the last time. My only concern was just how permanent they really are.
                          As you don't embroider, I can only recommend you to try Sharpies. As long as it's 100% cotton, silk, or nylon you use and you've washed it before you start using the markers, the Sharpies will stay on there just fine. Also no need to seal it.

Comment

Working...
                          X