Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing room??

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sewing room??

Taking over a room in the house which is about 3 metres square so it's all mine to organise and play with. What to you think are the essentials for a sewing room? Storage? Flat surfaces for sewing machine? cutting table? I've never had a dedicated toom for sewing/quilting so I want it to work for me. Any suggestions would be a big help - what worked for you and what didn't. Very exciting!!!

2. Thanks pcbatiks, SuzanneOrleansOntario, cv quilter thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing room??

How exciting!! I used to have a quilting loft but the stairs have gotten the better of me over the years. Now I have a quilting corner in the living room. I loved having a higher table/desk for cutting. It just made that process so much easier. Peg board for hanging rulers, scissors and rotary cutters close by was great to have too. Have fun setting things up. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to get things the way they work best for you so enjoy the process.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful!!! It's always sew great to have your own space. A good cutting surface, preferably high enough so you are not bending over it, an ironing board or wool pressing mat and iron, storage options for notions and rulers and fabrics, definitely a good solid table for your machines, good lighting, and plenty of electrical outlet options. You also need a comfortable chair.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I got a dedicated sewing room the first thing I added was a sturdy cutting table that I could access from three sides set at the correct height. I used bed risers under the table legs to get it to the correct height. Then I used particle board,batting, and canvas to build a flat ironing surface that was the full size of the cutting table to get a gigantic ironing surface. I can store the ironing surface propped against the wall when I need the cutting table. A design wall is really useful. I use bookshelves to hold my fabric stash.

I love my rolling cart with shallow drawers to store all my notions and rulers. One like this

https://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-...s%2C151&sr=8-8

Don't forget good lighting. It makes a huge difference. I prefer full spectrum full daylight 5000K LED light.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sewing room is actually a bedroom about 12 x 15 feet. My machine is on a desk and I have a small rolling file cabinet on wheels that I can push against the wall or roll up next to my desk making an L-shape which gives me a little extra room to pin something or lay out a block next to my machine. No design wall. I have a waist high cutting table with 2 drawers and storage under it. I keep my ironing board out all the time. I also have a card table up all the time which is very useful for laying out blocks or if I am doing a lot of cutting to keep the cut pieces organized by shape and size. I have a large open tote bag under the card table and as I cut I put the leftover yardage in the tote temporarily in case I need to cut more of that piece, and then when my blocks are completed I refold everything in the tote and put it back in my stash. I usually only work on one project at a time. That's all my room is big enough for without the mess getting out of control. Have fun setting up your room. Don't worry you will find a place for everything!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky you. I like having a tall cutting station in my room. I bought a buffet on clearance and it's the perfect height. It has the advantage of storage underneath - drawers, two cupboards and book shelves on the end. My husband got me a big board for Christmas one year. I love being able to iron the entire width of fabric on that. I also have a table for my sewing machine so it is recessed into the table instead of sitting on top. This made a huge difference in my FMQ. Those are my 3 favorite things.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a closet it will be a great place to put
    Wire baskets/ shelves for fabric storage.
    You always need Ott lights, you can never
    have too much ligh. I have a light at ever
    station in my sewing room.
    Have Fun!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting table, sewing table, shelves and also hanging shelves as they don't take up floor space. Have fun!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sewing room is 10x12. I have a banquet table for my machine which isn't the sturdiest surface because the machine can bounce if I sew fast. But I like the length and depth of it; plenty of room for other machines and elbow room while I sew. I have room for a cutting table the size of my 36" mat, a book case, a rolling cart, ironing board and design wall. One wall has a double closet with top to bottom shelves and I have a set of built-in drawers. So I have a lot crammed into that space but it works for me. If I could have one wish it would be a new table with my machine recessed.
    Over my cutting table I have picture ledges which are just deep enough to hold those wooden ruler holders, so the rulers are right there and easy to access. Under the ledges I have a long rod with hooks for all my scissors and rotary cutters. That way my cutting table is completely clear and my tools are close at hand. I have the rolling cart close to my ironing board and it holds my Rowenta steamer, spray starch etc.
    Have fun setting up your new happy place!
    Last edited by chelea; September 14th, 2019 at 05:30 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A radio or tape deck and a clock are musts.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE