Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sewing room??

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing room??

Congrats on your new room. Everyone has provided you with the ideas for a great sewing space. You may want to hold off on putting things on the walls until you like your set up. Enjoy!

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats and good luck with your new sewing room! I don't have one yet but a spot in our bedroom. I would imagine having more storage space and room to spread out would be awesome. Have fun!
    Tracie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would think about giving each corner of the room a purpose. One corner for cutting, one corner for ironing, one corner for sewing. If there's not a door in the fourth corner, you could keep a second machine there; sewing, serger, or embroidery.

Have fun laying it all out. I recommend using graph paper to scale and cutting little graph paper models of each piece of equipment you want to have set up full time.

I see that IKEA is in UK. My ironing surface is a modified KALLAX bookcase. My hubby rounded the corners of a piece of plywood and we attached it using Command strips (sticky Velcro) to the top of the KALLAX. This gives me eight cubbies for storage under my ironing surface. It occurs to me that you could just pad and cover the top of the KALLAX directly as an ironing surface.

Good luck, and please post photos when you're all set up!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your own sewing room. I don't like having my fabric on display so I got a wardrobe from IKEA and put extra shelves in it along with a couple of drawers. It gives me room to store my fabric and I have one drawer for fat quarters and Christmas fabrics and the other stores my WIP's and kits. The bottom of the wardrobe holds a couple of large plastic boxes and things like 505 spray and boxes of cotton. I have a piece of interlining (from Dunelm) threaded through a piece of Dowling which is my design wall and hooks over the wardrobe door - just roll it up when not in use. I have some kallax units to store mags, books and my die cutting machine.

Make sure you allow for plenty of lights.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of great suggestions already, but I'll add one more.... surge protectors! I have three currently: One for my mid-arm quilting machine and overhead light, one for my iron and overhead lights, and one for my sewing machine, desk lamp, and fan.

I think the only things not on a surge protector (yet) is my radio and mini-fridge.

Each surge protector is easily accessible, so a quick press with my toe on each protector assures me that everything is turned off that needs to be turned off at the end of the day.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I mounted the ironing board on the wall and can fold it up so it gives me more room for the cutting table. I am blessed with a large space and DH built me a 4x8 ft sewing table with a recessed space for machine which I can fit my sew easy table into to make it flat. Under it, I have a shelf that holds lots of things like the sewing machine case, and other items not used daily like the embroider attachment and hoops. The large table for sewing has lots of space for cutting and laying out ideas too but when FMQ ing I don't have to worry about drag. Directly behind the sewing table I have a design wall made from 2 pieces of foam insulation board covered with batting. I have shelves for fabric so I can sort out by colors and shop my stash without looking thru totes.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your own personal space! As for storage, I like to keep my fabric in clear plastic storage containers to keep the dust off and for easy viewing. My husband created shelving in my sewing room closet to house all the containers. I can sort them by colors easily.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Grammaterry are you seriously saying your ironing board folds up like a Murphy bed?? That is so cool. How do you keep it up against the wall so it doesn't come down? Having a hard time picturing this but this is one of the most creative ideas ever!!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions - they have given me a lot to think about. Some ideas I hadn't even thought about!!
    Toni - I've been leaning towards IKEA and trying to work out what would fit - I'm hooked on Ikea Hacks and how people cleverly alter items to make them into something else. When I eventually decide I will try to post a picture of the final 'build'.

10. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post