Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now or

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to get rid of back pain

Well Im into DIY but usually I have plenty of time in summer to do what I enjoy doing. But nowadays Im so busy of working hard, that's why I try to spend time on my hobbies on the weekends. I've got lots of tough projects and my back pain is coming back and drives me crazy! I sit a lot on not so comfy chair as Id like it to be and feeling to move more often as my lower back start nagging. You know, sewing demands lots of patience and sitting at one position so I can't focus on well because of the pain Any advice on relaxing exercises or ergonomic furniture to fix my posture?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to get rid of back pain

I don't think you need a whole new chair for that, just a support cushion. Look up lumbar support on Amazon and there a ton of styles and price points to consider. Hopefully that will help without spending a fortune.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Back pain is no fun. Here's a youtube video which might provide some info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeAbw5Bg338

https://sewingmachinetalk.com/how-to...n-when-sewing/

Leah Day did a video at one point on a back brace; it's out of stock, but there are others out there. https://leahday.com/products/quilting-back-support

and this view might help with your setup and posture: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/369435975675655772/
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. ― John Muir
    We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind! ― author unknown

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

One small thing is to move your iron and board to the other side of the room. This makes you get up and walk a few steps often. You would be surprised how much it helps

5. Thanks SallyO'Sews, sydneybean thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can check out the book Breathe- the simple guide to better health for quilters, artists, and creatives by Kelly Sheets.
    Katrina

Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.
    ― Maya Angelou

7. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Is it muscle strain? If so you should try a product called Muscle Aloe Jelly from Plant Therapy. That stuff is nothing short of amazing for sore muscles and joints. I will never be without it. Hope you feel better soon!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used Leah Day's back support for when I was quilting (stand up) and it worked very well.

I discovered a salve I make myself when I was up in Canada. It works for most types of lower back pain for me and a few other things. I don't know if it will for you but here's the recipe.

In the summer, pick St Johns Wort flowers, leaves, stems are ok too. Put it in a pint mason jar with Sunflower Oil. Fill to the top. If you can find it do another jar of yarrow flowers & leaves (the asprin effect) and another with winterberry leaves and berries. (These last two are optional but are very good additions the winterberry adds the "heat"). Leave the jars in a sunny window for two weeks shaking every one or two days. Strain the oil and set aside. Repeat the process using your first strained oils and you'll have to add more sunflower oil to that. Repeat for another two weeks and strain. Store in a cool dark place for winter use.It helps if you have dark bottles to put it in but it's not necessary if you have it in a dark place. I feel improvement within 20 minutes of application. You can also use this for strains and sprains.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

10. Thanks Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Something I’ve found out since I started going to regular exercise classes,,,,a strong core really helps to relieve the lower back pain. Turns out the abdomen muscles along with the muscles in your back are what keep your back straight so the pain doesn’t get a chance to set in..
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

12. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have pretty significant spine problems so I have to be extremely careful and aware of how I'm feeling. I agree that getting up to press items and move around the house is essential. Our bodies weren't meant to stay in one position for long periods of time, right? I have found that proper chair height is critical. You cannot learn too much about ergonomics and there is lots of info out there. You can get a set up that supports you with appropriate height of table, chair and arm angle. Also, I use a spine cushion on my sewing chair and it makes a huge difference. The cushion I use is made for people in wheelchairs. It forces you into alignment. Here is the link. Not expensive.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My upper back tends to tighten up when I and FMQing. The last time I put a heating pad on the back of my chair and that seemed to help keep the muscle a little more loose.

I'm going to check out some of these other suggestions.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?