• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • janbee
    Designer Diva
    • Mar 2014

Anyone else thought about this?

I am retired and spend most of my days in my sewing room piecing quilts. I have a very nice computerized sewing machine, a Babylock Crescendo. I free motion quilt on my Crescendo also. I am considering purchasing a mechanical machine, either a Babylock Jane or a Juki TL2010 to piece on because I think a mechanical machine will last longer than my computerized machine. And therefore, would be saving my computerized machine for things like decorative stitching, buttonholes, and free motion quilting. I have found a like new Babylock Jane that was traded in for a machine with more options that is within my budget. Any of you thought about this? I have heard some horror stories lately about repair bills on computerized machines that are not in warranty.

Jan
  • bubba
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2013

Re: Anyone else thought about this?

I have the Juki 2010, which I bought because the woman I took a fmq class from pieced all her quilts on one. Not only that, she also fmq'd all her quilts on it as well. At the time, she was winning the grand prize ribbon at the fair for quilting every other year (they don't let you win two years in a row).
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Old Newbie
      The Guild President
      • Jan 2015

I too bought a Juki 2010 to piece with. I love it and now fmq on it. My Brother sewing machine I use for buttonholes and appliqué. The Brother was an inexpensive model, a Laura Ashley. I like it a lot, but it would not justify repairing.

Comment

• dwil23
        Missouri Star
        • May 2012

That's why I use vintage machines. I have a computerized machine but never use it. If it was to crash, it would be in the garbage, they are too expensive to repair. Sadly, no matter how much you pay for them, ultimately they are disposable, mostly plastic machines. Don't get me wrong, they are great for all the fancy stuff (which I rarely do). Consider a vintage machine such as a Singer Featherweight or 301 for your piecing. Straight stitch only machines are so much easier to piece on because the feed dogs are closer together, and feed the fabric straighter - not the tendency to shift when you are sewing a 1/4" seam.
        Donna

Comment

• MHG Winnower
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2015

I have several vintage singers, including Featherweight, 301, 99K, etc. They all sew beautifully and are solid as a rock. I do use a Brother computerized machine for almost all of my sewing, though. In 10 years, it has never caused me one problem. Guess I am one lucky person.
          “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
          “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• Bubby
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2011

I have used Janome machines for 30 years (all computerized) and never needed a repair on any of them. One even survived a tornado. I currently use a Janome 12000 for all of my piecing, machine embroidery and what little FMQing I do. You can get a lemon with any brand but thankfully this hasn't happened to me. I have several other machines, including 4 Featherweights, but my Janome 12000 is my baby.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2015

I have used my Husquarvana for many years and used my DD's when I had a sewing business. All without issue even though they are computerized. When I bought them I was shown how to maintain and clean them, and only get them done at the shop every 5-7 years. That is why in recent years I have picked up a few more Huskys for GKs to sew on. They are easy to maintain. If they go and too expensive to repair, I will lay them to rest.

I have recently picked up a Singer 99 and hope to use this a lot. I'm taking a maintenance class for it soon. I'm still on the lookout for a featherweight to being to retreats.
              Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• JCY
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2013

I also have a computerized DSM. I've never had a problem. It's important to keep them plugged into a good surge protector. I use surge protectors for our TV, computer, DSM, & LA.

Comment

• ktdid
                  The Guild President
                  • Dec 2018

I also have vintage machines, a straight singer 15, and singer 201 which was called a Taylor's machine, I do all the repairs & maintenance my self, I love getting machines that aren't sewing, and get them up & running again, they are solid metal, you can't go wrong getting one, they last a lifetime and then some.
                  Kate (Oklahoma)
                  There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• Bernina2
                    The Guild President
                    • Oct 2014

I have two machines both computerized.
                    I love the way they sew and I like the
                    option to change the needle position.
                    Both are Berninas. The embroidery machine
                    I bought new. The one I piece on I bought used.
                    Hardly used was still in the original box.
                    I clean them myself and take them to
                    the shop every 5-7 years. I don’t think
                    I would buy anything but a
                    computerized machine. Both machines
                    are plugged into a power strip.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2012

I thought the purpose of a machine like the Cresendo with it's large throat and bells and whistles was so you didn't have to invest in so many machines.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Vonnie
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2013

We have a whole house surge protector.
                        Last edited by Vonnie; September 13, 2019, 06:55 PM.
                        Vonnie

Comment

• bakermom
                          Missouri Star
                          • Sep 2010

Vintage machines are fine-I have a couple but remember, the original owners upgraded and replaced them for a reason. They wanted more options. My main machine is a Brother Ult.2002D. Never had any trouble with it, but I also know when it goes it will probably not be repairable. I can live with that, it owes me nothing. I also have a Juki 2000 for FMQ and piecing. When the Ult goes I will replace it with another computerized machine because I like what they offer. It will not be a TOL machine, that was a one-time splurge for me and I'm OK with that
                          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• chelea
                            Missouri Star
                            • Mar 2012

I think it's a good idea to have a back-up mechanical machine. I still have my first sewing machine, a 1969 Kenmore, and she sews a perfect stitch. It's a tank of a machine, all metal, and will probably last another 50 years with proper maintenance. There are some really nice, inexpensive vintage machines out there that would be excellent for piecing.
                            Michele
                            ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                            To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• dwil23
                              Missouri Star
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by bakermom View Post
                              Vintage machines are fine-I have a couple but remember, the original owners upgraded and replaced them for a reason. They wanted more options.
                              Not necessarily. Many, maybe most, vintage machines were left behind by people who have passed away. As far as more "options" - for basic piecing, which the OP was considering a second machine for, those options aren't really necessary. In fact, some may actually be a bit of a hindrance. Bonnie Hunter explained in one of her early quilt cams how the wider feed dogs on the machines with options actually make it harder to stitch a straight line. She also said that the only machine that stitches a truly straight stitch is one that is a straight stitch only machine. Zigzag machines stitch differently and can take up just a bit more of your seam allowance. Look closely at your zigzag stitch and then compare to one from a straight stitch machine. To each his own...
                              Donna

Comment

Working...
                              X