Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else thought about this?

I am retired and spend most of my days in my sewing room piecing quilts. I have a very nice computerized sewing machine, a Babylock Crescendo. I free motion quilt on my Crescendo also. I am considering purchasing a mechanical machine, either a Babylock Jane or a Juki TL2010 to piece on because I think a mechanical machine will last longer than my computerized machine. And therefore, would be saving my computerized machine for things like decorative stitching, buttonholes, and free motion quilting. I have found a like new Babylock Jane that was traded in for a machine with more options that is within my budget. Any of you thought about this? I have heard some horror stories lately about repair bills on computerized machines that are not in warranty.

Jan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone else thought about this?

I have the Juki 2010, which I bought because the woman I took a fmq class from pieced all her quilts on one. Not only that, she also fmq'd all her quilts on it as well. At the time, she was winning the grand prize ribbon at the fair for quilting every other year (they don't let you win two years in a row).
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I too bought a Juki 2010 to piece with. I love it and now fmq on it. My Brother sewing machine I use for buttonholes and appliqué. The Brother was an inexpensive model, a Laura Ashley. I like it a lot, but it would not justify repairing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I use vintage machines. I have a computerized machine but never use it. If it was to crash, it would be in the garbage, they are too expensive to repair. Sadly, no matter how much you pay for them, ultimately they are disposable, mostly plastic machines. Don't get me wrong, they are great for all the fancy stuff (which I rarely do). Consider a vintage machine such as a Singer Featherweight or 301 for your piecing. Straight stitch only machines are so much easier to piece on because the feed dogs are closer together, and feed the fabric straighter - not the tendency to shift when you are sewing a 1/4" seam.
    Donna

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have several vintage singers, including Featherweight, 301, 99K, etc. They all sew beautifully and are solid as a rock. I do use a Brother computerized machine for almost all of my sewing, though. In 10 years, it has never caused me one problem. Guess I am one lucky person.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Janome machines for 30 years (all computerized) and never needed a repair on any of them. One even survived a tornado. I currently use a Janome 12000 for all of my piecing, machine embroidery and what little FMQing I do. You can get a lemon with any brand but thankfully this hasn't happened to me. I have several other machines, including 4 Featherweights, but my Janome 12000 is my baby.

8. Thanks Laurie B, quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used my Husquarvana for many years and used my DD's when I had a sewing business. All without issue even though they are computerized. When I bought them I was shown how to maintain and clean them, and only get them done at the shop every 5-7 years. That is why in recent years I have picked up a few more Huskys for GKs to sew on. They are easy to maintain. If they go and too expensive to repair, I will lay them to rest.

I have recently picked up a Singer 99 and hope to use this a lot. I'm taking a maintenance class for it soon. I'm still on the lookout for a featherweight to being to retreats.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a computerized DSM. I've never had a problem. It's important to keep them plugged into a good surge protector. I use surge protectors for our TV, computer, DSM, & LA.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I also have vintage machines, a straight singer 15, and singer 201 which was called a Taylor's machine, I do all the repairs & maintenance my self, I love getting machines that aren't sewing, and get them up & running again, they are solid metal, you can't go wrong getting one, they last a lifetime and then some.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

12. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have two machines both computerized.
    I love the way they sew and I like the
    option to change the needle position.
    Both are Berninas. The embroidery machine
    I bought new. The one I piece on I bought used.
    Hardly used was still in the original box.
    I clean them myself and take them to
    the shop every 5-7 years. I don’t think
    I would buy anything but a
    computerized machine. Both machines
    are plugged into a power strip.