Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone else thought about this?

I thought the purpose of a machine like the Cresendo with it's large throat and bells and whistles was so you didn't have to invest in so many machines.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We have a whole house surge protector.
    Last edited by Vonnie; September 13th, 2019 at 09:55 PM.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Vintage machines are fine-I have a couple but remember, the original owners upgraded and replaced them for a reason. They wanted more options. My main machine is a Brother Ult.2002D. Never had any trouble with it, but I also know when it goes it will probably not be repairable. I can live with that, it owes me nothing. I also have a Juki 2000 for FMQ and piecing. When the Ult goes I will replace it with another computerized machine because I like what they offer. It will not be a TOL machine, that was a one-time splurge for me and I'm OK with that
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a good idea to have a back-up mechanical machine. I still have my first sewing machine, a 1969 Kenmore, and she sews a perfect stitch. It's a tank of a machine, all metal, and will probably last another 50 years with proper maintenance. There are some really nice, inexpensive vintage machines out there that would be excellent for piecing.

5. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    Vintage machines are fine-I have a couple but remember, the original owners upgraded and replaced them for a reason. They wanted more options.
    Not necessarily. Many, maybe most, vintage machines were left behind by people who have passed away. As far as more "options" - for basic piecing, which the OP was considering a second machine for, those options aren't really necessary. In fact, some may actually be a bit of a hindrance. Bonnie Hunter explained in one of her early quilt cams how the wider feed dogs on the machines with options actually make it harder to stitch a straight line. She also said that the only machine that stitches a truly straight stitch is one that is a straight stitch only machine. Zigzag machines stitch differently and can take up just a bit more of your seam allowance. Look closely at your zigzag stitch and then compare to one from a straight stitch machine. To each his own...
    Donna

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

bakermom, what is a TOL machine?

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

TOL = Top of the Line