Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using different color threads

Hello,
    I am really really new at quilting. Really really new. I made one for my grandson a few years ago for his first bday and am making 2 more for the other 2 grandbabies for their 1st bdays coming up.

This time around I think I learned from previous mistakes and at least the tops have seemed to turn out pretty good. I am about to put the top, basting and bottom pieces together and sew. At this point I'm a "stitch in the ditch" kind of guy.

My question is....
    My tops are the usual baby type prints with nice colors. The bottoms will be predominately yellow on one and pink on the other and I will be machined stitching them together. Can you use two different threads, i.e. one that matches the bottom and one that sort of blends in with the top? Put one color on the bobbin and the other color for the needle?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using different color threads

You absolutely can use two different colors. Go for it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can. Please be aware that no matter how carefully you set the tension occasionally the bottom thread will poke up to the top. Only you will notice. No one else will see the pop ups. Honest. Don't let it drive you crazy.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks am2901, dwil23 thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I am aware that one may poke through. Really do appreciate the replies!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Now might be the time to play around with some variegated thread. They have such a great selection these days. Don't let me throw you off though

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Now might be the time to play around with some variegated thread. They have such a great selection these days. Don't let me throw you off though
    I LOVE variegated thread. When I use variegated thread I use the variegated thread only in the top and a thinner thread as close to the middle shade of the variegated thread in the bobbin.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Had to look up "variegated thread". Multi colored I guess I call it. I have some and that's why I asked my question as I want to use that on top and the other color on bottom. Undecided yet. Thanks again...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

I've used different threads on top and bottom. The only issue I ever had was when my bottom thread was heavier (thicker) than the top.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I opted to not stitch in the ditch but 3/8" either side of the seam lines, both sides. I set my machine up with one thread on bobbin and different off spool. Had some practice pieces set up to test and sure enough...was getting all kinds of looping on the bottom. Messed with the tension and that didn't solve it. Then I remember reading KPH above's post and thought I'd run both same thread on top and bottom. Reset my tension to default and wa-la.... problem solved. Went with the multi colored thread and though would have preferred the other, this works as well.

Again.. thanks all for the input!
    Last edited by chaswp54; September 13th, 2019 at 01:08 PM.

12. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post