• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chaswp54
    Honey Bun
    • Sep 2019

Using different color threads

Hello,
    I am really really new at quilting. Really really new. I made one for my grandson a few years ago for his first bday and am making 2 more for the other 2 grandbabies for their 1st bdays coming up.

This time around I think I learned from previous mistakes and at least the tops have seemed to turn out pretty good. I am about to put the top, basting and bottom pieces together and sew. At this point I'm a "stitch in the ditch" kind of guy.

My question is....
    My tops are the usual baby type prints with nice colors. The bottoms will be predominately yellow on one and pink on the other and I will be machined stitching them together. Can you use two different threads, i.e. one that matches the bottom and one that sort of blends in with the top? Put one color on the bobbin and the other color for the needle?

Thanks for any advice on this.
  • cindirae
    Binding Belle
    • Oct 2013

Re: Using different color threads

You absolutely can use two different colors. Go for it!
    Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

• DeniseSm
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2013

Yes you can. Please be aware that no matter how carefully you set the tension occasionally the bottom thread will poke up to the top. Only you will notice. No one else will see the pop ups. Honest. Don't let it drive you crazy.
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• chaswp54
        Honey Bun
        • Sep 2019

Thanks all. I am aware that one may poke through. Really do appreciate the replies!

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2012

Now might be the time to play around with some variegated thread. They have such a great selection these days. Don't let me throw you off though
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

• DeniseSm
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
            Now might be the time to play around with some variegated thread. They have such a great selection these days. Don't let me throw you off though
            I LOVE variegated thread. When I use variegated thread I use the variegated thread only in the top and a thinner thread as close to the middle shade of the variegated thread in the bobbin.
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• chaswp54
              Honey Bun
              • Sep 2019

Had to look up "variegated thread". Multi colored I guess I call it. I have some and that's why I asked my question as I want to use that on top and the other color on bottom. Undecided yet. Thanks again...

Comment

• Bubby
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2011

Welcome to the forum!!!
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• KPH
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2015

Welcome to the forum!

I've used different threads on top and bottom. The only issue I ever had was when my bottom thread was heavier (thicker) than the top.
                  Katrina
                  From NC, retired in FL
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• chaswp54
                    Honey Bun
                    • Sep 2019

I opted to not stitch in the ditch but 3/8" either side of the seam lines, both sides. I set my machine up with one thread on bobbin and different off spool. Had some practice pieces set up to test and sure enough...was getting all kinds of looping on the bottom. Messed with the tension and that didn't solve it. Then I remember reading KPH above's post and thought I'd run both same thread on top and bottom. Reset my tension to default and wa-la.... problem solved. Went with the multi colored thread and though would have preferred the other, this works as well.

Again.. thanks all for the input!
                    Last edited by chaswp54; September 13, 2019, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• CraftyJnet
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jun 2015

Welcome to the forum! Please show us a photo of your quilt when you are done.

Jeannette

Comment

Working...
                      X