• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JCY
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2013

Thursday Hellos! :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ A bit chilly this a.m. Only 55 deg., our coolest morning yet. We had a thunderstorm again yest. late afternoon with pea sized hail. Glad that didn't last long. One area in Neb. got 2" diam. hail with extensive damage. Tomorrow a.m. may even dip into the 40's. A touch of Fall, for sure. But then it's supposed to be up close to 90 on the week end. I'm going to take advantage of this cooler day to bake DH's spelt bread.

I did more sorting yest. Got rid of old orders/receipts from internet orders for the past few yrs. I reorganized some shelves in the basement to make room for books. Did more dusting. If I keep at it, I'll get most of what I want to do done in the next week. DS#1 comes on the 20th. I'm feeling the time crunch. I want to take advantage of the cooler day to spread winterizer fertilizer on the lawn. I like to get it down so there are 2-3 weeks to water it in before the sprinkler system needs to be blown out. Depending on the weather, we usually have that done during the first week or two of Oct. Fall is coming up fast.
  • KPH
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2015

Re: Thursday Hellos!

Good Morning Joy and those who follow,

Mike got called in today. So he'll have tomorrow off and can take me to my VERC appt. No short bus trips all over the county! Yippee! Unfortunately, he has to work Saturday and will miss Esther's big 5 year old party. I haven't figured out how I'm going to get there. lol, but then again, I'm not a big fan of bouncy houses! She wants a pound cake and asked me to bake one for her. Sometime, I need to get motivated to do that!

Morgan's off, so I guess Zeke's not coming this morning. He's not here yet, anyway. My fabric arrived yesterday! If he's not here by 9, I'll probably start on sandwiching one of the tops I made last week.

Joy, I've got to re-do my home school area. I'm starting to see stacks of things and I have no idea where to put them! I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of some of the things in the console dad had made. Most of it's serving dishes that haven't been taken out of the cabinet since DH passed. I just don't see me doing a lot of entertaining anymore.

We're looking at another storm. The GPS and Euro models are far apart this time. We'll see what happens this weekend. I hope it doesn't rain out Esther's party, but we could actually use some rain.

I'll have to tell Jim to have his truck checked out. It's on the recall list. DH would have had it in the shop today. No telling when Jim will get around to it! Annoying! It's the brakes for heaven's sake! Take the silly thing in.

Next weekend it QuiltFest. I'm looking forward to it. I hope Mike is off the first day. I get so inspired!
    Katrina
    From NC, retired in FL
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• JCY
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2013

Katrina ~ I have a hutch with my good set of china dishes in it. Haven't used them in a long time. My first husb. & I bought them ages ago (1960's) from the Speigel catalog for ~$40. With DH's health the way it is, there is no entertaining at this household. I have some lovely, antique dishes my mom passed down to me. Some are >100 y.o. Sad to say, our kids & gr. kids have no interest in our "stuff". I was thinking just this week I should wash all those dishes & clean the hutch, but it's very low on the priority list right now.

The 2nd loaf of bread is in the oven & will be done in ~45 min. The house smells so good. I'm ready to fix my daily cup of coffee & hit the recliner to do my daily Bible reading & get started on my BSF lesson.

Comment

• jjkaiser
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2013

Joy, I enjoyed reading about your china. Sadly we are all in the same boat, our kids will not want any of our stuff! However over the years I have collected very small things that are in a single small curio cabinet. I just love anything small. For ex I have a teeny tiny cream colored beer stein about 1.5 inches high about a quarter inch wide with the saying Gone But Not Forgotten on it that sits next to tiny photos of my sister and niece who died. Anyway I told my 3 dd that when I pass all the little things I loved the most will fit into a shoebox. The inference being they better hang onto that little stuff to remember me by.

But oops getting back to your china...my Mom died about 20 yrs ago when my kids were still small. She was big on Spring Cleaning and one year recruited me and dds to help. Everything had to be taken out of the china cabinet and washed, as did every dish in the kitchen, new shelf paper cut and laid down, silverware polished, the whole shebang. My oldest dau who was about 9 then, said "This is fun! How come we never do this at home Mom?" You mean bc I was working about 50 hrs a week then with a house, DH 3 kids and a dog? I told her she could do that at her house when she grows up! Of course she didn't but we still laugh about it. So thanks for giving me the trip down memory lane!! Hopefully I didn't bore everyone here with my stories.
        Jocelyn
        South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• KPH
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

JJ, being the oldest GD on both sides of my family, and DH being the oldest GS on both sides of the family, I've ended up with more than any one person could ever use!

I have Howard's grandmother's china (which is Jim and Morgan's if they ever get something to store it in). I have my mom's china (service for 16), her crystal and silver. I have my grandma Mac's china and silver (Her silver is the same pattern as mom's), and my china (thank goodness I quit with a service for 4). I have dishes and vases from all of my great grandmothers. Grandma Mac, labeled everything with white duct tape and ink- who it belonged to, and about how old it is. I gave Grandma Phillips's punch bowl set to Jim to take to the church kitchen, but it's sitting at his house on top of the cabinet. I think Morgan is making him keep it.

I have too much stuff and not enough kitchen cabinets, and the china cabinet may burst if something else is added to it!
          Katrina
          From NC, retired in FL

Comment

• jjkaiser
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2013

I love love love sterling silver and inherited two sets from my Mom and I use it for every day. Also use cloth napkins every day, I have about 75 every color you would want.
            Jocelyn
            South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• JCY
              Missouri Star
              • Jul 2013

One problem when gifting items is when the kids/gr. kids live a long ways away. DS#1 lives in MD (I know his wife is not interested in my stuff), DH's 2 sons live in N. ID. They already have taken a few items. But neither one of them has been here for 6-7 yrs. You can't carry much on a plane. DS#2 now is in Colo., but I'm not sure what, if anything he'd want. DGD lives in the Dallas, TX area. I also have a LOT of genealogy info. -- several file cabinet drawers full of info. I've been collecting info. over several years. My parents got me interested; they did a lot of research on their families which got passed down to me.

DH always felt cheated out of some things belonging to his parents, items that had his name taped to them & were designated for him, b/c he had no way to bring them back to CO from N. ID. Items that could be mailed in boxes were okay, but he missed out on some of the bigger items. He always felt bad that he didn't get some of the photo albums; he has no idea where they ended up. No one seems to know, or they aren't saying.

Comment

• KPH
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2015

Joy, tell your DH that he did better than our best friend. His brother cleaned out the house, before Russell could get anything. He even threw away Russell's high school yearbooks. They threw out all of the towels. Melinda saw what they were doing, went into the garbage and got towels for her and Russell. Then the brother and wife were SOL after the funeral. They didn't have a towel to take their own shower. Russell ended up with nothing. His portion of the estate is in trust and if he wants anything he has to get lawyer approval. One stipulation was it had to be only for Russell and couldn't benefit Melinda in any way. What a dysfunctional bunch!
                Katrina
                From NC, retired in FL

Comment

• BethB
                  The Guild President
                  • Oct 2014

My "good" china and crystal had been sitting in my corner cabinet (behind a door - not glass) for a lot of years. We bought it from the Rosenthal factory through the PX when we lived in Germany. I used it a lot in years past, but over the past 10 or so years, not at all. I looked into selling it on line but it would not have netted much money and I would have had to ship it to North Carolina which would have taken up most of the money. It is in the storage unit now but I had thought I would take it to an auctioneer when I move to my house in December. Just yesterday, the guy who does my hair said he would take it in trade for several appointments. Something to think about. My children have already told me they are not interested in having it -- or a lot of the things I have.

Nancy

Comment

• MAMSAN
                    Quilting Guru
                    • Jul 2019

Our lives have changed much over the years and many traditions we once held dear are no longer relevant. While the items that were once special to us may be gone the memories won't be.
                    Blessings kathy

Comment

• KarenC
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2015

Kathy, I have to agree with you. I live out of state, so am not near my mother's home for whenever she decides to get rid of anything. Honestly, there's not much I would want anyway. And I agree that times and traditions have changed. I do use my china once a year when my DD's family and in-laws come over. I would not be surprised if it all goes to one of those "Junk companies". But, I have told them, that I won't be here, so do what you want, just try to sell the longarm and supplies or donate to someone who will use it.
                      Karen
                      Spring, TX

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                        Missouri Star
                        • Aug 2015

It's funny how we keep things for so long, only to have to go through it later in life and let it go. I guess my mom is not a sentimental person and she easily gave away all my grandmother's furniture, China and items when she died. I only remember seeing a few pieces of crystal and depression glass these she got rid of years later. Then she went though a phase and got fancy China, cutlery and crystal glasses. She always said it would be mine. In 30 years of first marriage, I didn't get any, nor did I want any of it. My DD always said she wanted it, so when mom went to a nursing home, I gave it all to my DD as my mom wanted. I have my own China, cutlery and collectibles I like. My DD wants my silverware and dishes. My son has interest in glassware. But who knows what will happen to it. I don't really care, I am enjoying it.

It does make me more aware that what I buy, someone could have to deal with disposing of one day. For now, I'm enjoying it.
                        Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
                        X