Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just a few days away from the Craft Fair

adorable. I'm always surprised that panels are a great seller since they are so simple. Goes to show you that non quilters don't recognize the work in piecing.

2. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think it helps that people find the prices more reasonable so they're more inclined to sell. And you're right most have no idea what effort and expense goes into a "real" quilt. For the quilter the markup isn't bad because they are relatively inexpensive. I can usually do them for under $22 and could probably do two per day if I wanted to knock myself out.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wishing great success at the craft fair. Are you selling other items besides quilts?

5. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

So Carlie... what kind of $ do these bring at Craft Fairs? Put another way- How do you set your pricing, and are you able to get your asking price?

Beautiful quilts too. I love me some baby quilts.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

7. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your baby quilts are adorable! Good luck at your Craft Sale.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

9. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Carlie, love the pink & blue quilts. I know you'll do great at your fair.

Gina

11. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just sent you a PM check your mailbox

13. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Nice quilts, the panels are so adorable and they make such original quilts, good luck in their craft fair and that their works sell soon

15. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    So Carlie... what kind of $ do these bring at Craft Fairs? Put another way- How do you set your pricing, and are you able to get your asking price?

Beautiful quilts too. I love me some baby quilts.
    I hope someone will answer these questions about pricing baby quilts at craft fairs. I've tried to sell "toddler size" quilts (larger than baby size) at four craft sales so far, but haven't sold a single quilt. I use quilt-shop-quality fabrics and an expensive batting, so I've been asking $50. That may be the problem, if the price is too high. I have another sale coming up in about two weeks, so I hope someone with selling experience can help with pricing.

17. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I generally mark the baby quilts between $55-65. I keep them as simple as possible so I can make a little profit off of it. I use to do fancier borders but I stopped that to cut the labor costs. I do sometimes do something like an Irish Chain and such though. I usually sell one or two at the two Craft Fairs I go to. The sizes are around 42x50. I like whimsical panels the most although I've done a few more modern ones. Usually I have 4 or 5 with me but this year only 3 because I forgot. I also bring around 7 to 10 larger quilts in varying patterns and sizes. I price them between $125 to $175. I might sell one or two of those but it has helped me to occasionally get custom orders or be approached to give sewing lessons.

At first I mainly only had quilts but then added lower priced things and they do help to add up the dollars. The microwave cozies do well at $8.50, 2 for 15. I added potato zapper bags and those sales are picking up too. The key chains are a big seller at $5-$7. Things like table runners, wall hanging get only occasional sales and placemats are not a big seller so I only bring a couple. I added lace christmas ornaments at $5 - $8 but they didn't sell nor the lace jewelry at $8.50-$10. The small zipper pouches do well for around 8.50 to 10 and can be used for cell phones too. I do them them with local Band embroidery, WV and various pets.

It does change year to year so I try to bring a variety. I was thinking of doing recycled grocery bags but when I priced them on Esty and Amazon I can't see how I'd make a profit to make it worthwhile. A week ago I decided to take old sheets cut them up (it needs about a yard) and do bags that I can use for my sale bags say for people who spend over $25. They have a cute embroidery panel on one side, kind of old fashion farmers market types of designs. So it's really no cost, just a little time. I'm bringing a dozen with me and I'm hoping the "good will" pays off in more sales. We'll see. I'll have more finished for the Christmas Craft Fair in December. We'll see.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

19. Thanks sewbizzy, am2901 thanked for this post