Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Placematsf

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Placematsf

I thought I would make some of Jordan fabrics placemats for a Christmas Raffle. I have a stitch in the ditch foot for my Featherweight so thought I would just do that to quilt it. So my question to you is- when coming to the bottom of the placemat how do you prevent a pucker from forming at the end of your sewing. I was thinking of starting at the top and going 1/2 way then start again from the bottom and work to the middle. Any thought on this.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Placematsf

Are you going to do a regular binding? I would just turn right (or left) then turn the mat around. So essentially your not going off. The binding will cover it. I think it was Leah Day that showed that in one of her videos.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

start in the middle and work out or you will have a pouf in the middle of your project
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

4. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Donna Jordan uses the pillowcase method of backing her place mats. This makes it simple but it can pose a pucker problem when quilting. When I make her designs, I put a thin piece of fabric on the back and do all of the quilting except the basic SITD before I add the pillowcase backing. Then, the only thing I have left is some minimal ditch stitching that hold things together.

Are you making the mats from her new tutorial? I will be making them soon. Got my Bali Poppy in the mail yesterday.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love Donna's placemat ideas but wondered about puckering if using the pillowcase method. Love your idea Barb. Problem solved.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.