• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuzanneOrleansOntario
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2015

Vacation changes - bad Dorian

Well we decided to go ahead to our east coast vacation after much debate. We left at 7 am Saturday and arrived in Grand Falls, NB. It was sunny, overcast and we only got light rain in the last half hour of drive. We were pleased that we made it. That night we followed the weather forecasts and where Dorian would hit. We were not going to put ourselves at risk.

Sunday morning, we watched news reports and Nova Scotia was hit pretty bad. Prince Edward Island and parts of NB and Quebec took a beating. The area where we stayed overnight was not hit. We were getting alerts re bridge closure. It was open/closed/part open. I tried contacting the hotel in PEI (Dalvay by the Sea). Finally I sent an email. I got a call from an employee on her personal cell. The hotel suffered significant damage, water damage in all the rooms and throughout. The high dunes have been reduced and the road to the property had lots of broken branhes and uprooted trees. They could not say when they would have power and were cancelling reservations. It is sad as this is a historic property, and would normally close in October. Since half the province is without power, water was to be conserve and people urged to stay indoors because of downed lines.

We discussed with our friends and I contacedt the hotel we were going to on Wednesday. We moved up our reservations and will be here 5 nights. If you google the Algonquin in St-Andrews by the Sea, NB you will see its a lovely hotel, celebrating 130 years. Our friends will stay 3 nights then head home, staying one night in Quebec City. They have cancelled all plans to go to Nova Scotia. They were going to visit family but they are without power and services.

We started exploring the town, and came across 3 deer in various lawns enjoying the peaceful surrounding. There is plenty to do here, but we will plan a trip to PEI earlier next summer.

The area where Monique & Les were to be, was severely hit, but I believe all these campgrounds would have had people move out beforehand. I know Monique would have been on alert and is probably no longer on the island.

It was an eventful and emotional day, but happy to be where we are enjoying this beautiful location.
    Good night.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.
  • jjkaiser
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Re: Vacation changes - bad Dorian

Suzanne, I am Glad you are safe and taking precautions seriously! Such a shame about the historic hotel. Monique wherever you are, I hope you are okay and just in an area where there is no cell service. Thanks for the update and hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.
    Jocelyn
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

Dorian has been a stinker all the way around!

I'm so glad you're safe and I hope Monique checks in soon.

Have a great rest of your trip.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Simply Quilting
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2013

I am glad that you are safe. The hotel looks beautiful and I hope it is where they can repair it.

Comment

• grammaterry
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2015

I think those of us who are aware of whats going on usually remain safe. As DH said while on the Carolina Coast during the event, Stupid people put themselves at risk, the rest of us cancel plans.
          Originally posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
          Well we decided to go ahead to our east coast vacation after much debate. We left at 7 am Saturday and arrived in Grand Falls, NB. It was sunny, overcast and we only got light rain in the last half hour of drive. We were pleased that we made it. That night we followed the weather forecasts and where Dorian would hit. We were not going to put ourselves at risk.

Sunday morning, we watched news reports and Nova Scotia was hit pretty bad. Prince Edward Island and parts of NB and Quebec took a beating. The area where we stayed overnight was not hit. We were getting alerts re bridge closure. It was open/closed/part open. I tried contacting the hotel in PEI (Dalvay by the Sea). Finally I sent an email. I got a call from an employee on her personal cell. The hotel suffered significant damage, water damage in all the rooms and throughout. The high dunes have been reduced and the road to the property had lots of broken branhes and uprooted trees. They could not say when they would have power and were cancelling reservations. It is sad as this is a historic property, and would normally close in October. Since half the province is without power, water was to be conserve and people urged to stay indoors because of downed lines.

We discussed with our friends and I contacedt the hotel we were going to on Wednesday. We moved up our reservations and will be here 5 nights. If you google the Algonquin in St-Andrews by the Sea, NB you will see its a lovely hotel, celebrating 130 years. Our friends will stay 3 nights then head home, staying one night in Quebec City. They have cancelled all plans to go to Nova Scotia. They were going to visit family but they are without power and services.

We started exploring the town, and came across 3 deer in various lawns enjoying the peaceful surrounding. There is plenty to do here, but we will plan a trip to PEI earlier next summer.

The area where Monique & Les were to be, was severely hit, but I believe all these campgrounds would have had people move out beforehand. I know Monique would have been on alert and is probably no longer on the island.

It was an eventful and emotional day, but happy to be where we are enjoying this beautiful location.
          Good night.
          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
          Terry of NC

Comment

• GuitarGramma
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2012

Suzanne, I'm so glad to know that you are OK. I hope to hear soon that Monique is, too. Dorian has been a monster storm!
            Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
            X