• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grammaterry
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2015

My nightmare/ DH Pipedream

As I posted a while back, DH got it in his mind that we should retire to a coastal waterfront property. We have been to Pamlico County NC three times in 5 weeks. We have made an offer on a beautiful property and making all the plans like inspections, appraisals, loans....anyway...we wanted (me, my idea) to go there during the hurricane preparations to see what would need to be done. We went...we watched...and then we went to the property after the fact. The house had been shuttered up and everything put inside. This is ten feet off the ground...no elevator. The owner had disassembled the well pump, the pressure tank and put it in the laundry room, shutters on the front windows facing the house, all the benches from the dock unbolted and moved up the stairs to the screened in porch, all the outdoor furniture and swings moved into the living room, the small storage shed windows removed and put upstairs, all the boat supply (yup, in the house)
    I told DH I didn't know how we would be able to do this every time there was a threat . Oh yes...this means no water, no electricity until storm is over. This was suppose to be a move that will make my life easier if anything happens to him...uhhuh….
    So, on the way home he gets to thinking and says maybe we won't...my this is a roller coaster. I'm pretty much done. I always said I would follow him anywhere, but …. maybe not.... I'm pretty happy here in my mountain home.
    success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
    Terry of NC
  • bubba
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2013

Re: My nightmare/ DH Pipedream

That stuff does not happen on the west coast....just sayin'!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

After Dorian hammered the barrier islands, I would have thought he'd love the mountains even more!
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Granny Fran
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2014

Can you get out of this offer???
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2012

I guess you have to think how often it really happens. I lived in Calif and was in a really bad earthquake. Then off to Hawaii and went thru two Hurricanes already. So you never know, it can happen where ever you go That was really smart you went to visit at that time. The owner sounded like he was on top of it and could teach you all he's learned living there.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

• JCY
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2013

Oh, Terry ~ What a time you're having about this potential move to the coast. I think you were smart to check things out during a hurricane threat. It sure doesn't sound like anything I'd want to retire to. Did your "offer" include earnest money? I think I'd rather lose the earnest $ & get out of the deal gracefully. I think I'd be sticking close to home sweet home in the mountains. A person can take fishing trips without having to move to that location. I hope you soon can be at peace with this whole ordeal.

Comment

• sewbizzy
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2012

I am praying that your husband can see this move would be harder for you--and him..it sounds like you have a wonderful home and beautiful property where you live now....and it is closer to your family...
              Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

• jjkaiser
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2013

Oh brother! Storm prep sounds like way too much work even if it's just once a year. Plus all the work putting everything back after storm is over. I hope your dh is having serious second thoughts and you can get out of the deal. Good thing you went back for another look.
                Jocelyn
                South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• grammaterry
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2015

I canceled the septic inspection this afternoon. Told him I was going to and he didn't argue. We are out for the appraisal, and the home inspection but am certain under NC real estate that we can cancel the contract anytime during our due diligence. If you want to see pictures. on Zillow...331 Tom Bland Rd.. Bayboro, NC. Beautiful water. But we are not in any shape to lug that stuff up the stairs everytime There's a threat and then put it back. The house is okay but needs new appliances and bathroom updates. The offer we made includes the furniture and we are $10 k under the appraisal but the insurance costs are huge. I knowwe will have to sell here and his pipe dream includes keeping this. NOway we can afford to own two places. I hope he gets real by morning. Thank you all for your support.
                  Terry of NC

Comment

• Hulamoon
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jul 2012

I live by myself and would have to hire out for the prep work. It sounds like you need to do a pro and con list. Can you add anything to the pro side?
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• grammaterry
                      Missouri Star
                      • Dec 2015

Water is beautiful. Views are to die for. That's major pro. Love the people I've met in bayboro.
                      Cons, so far from my kids, storm prep (can't count on hiring it out as everyone will be securing their own homes) just got copy of inspection and everything needs repair, roof, HVAC,water heater, windows)
                      Seems like a nightmare to me.
                      Dh is still considering
                      Terry of NC

Comment

• JCY
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2013

Oh, Terry ~ That sounds like too much expense to get the place fixed up. All I see are dollar signs. Based on the inspection report, you should be able to back out of the deal.

I looked up the address. Had problems with the Zillow web page, so just Googled the st. address. Oh my, I would not want to live that close to the water. I hope you can talk DH out of that deal.
                        Last edited by JCY; September 8, 2019, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                          Missouri Star
                          • Aug 2015

Oh what a roller coaster ride. I'm happy that you seem to have made the decision for both. As you age, you need less hassle, not more. It sounds like your home is good for you now. If ever that time comes that you would be alone, then you can make a decision to downsize where you want to live. Maybe in a community with other seniors, and close to family.
                          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• MHG Winnower
                            Missouri Star
                            • Nov 2015

You were so on target with making the drive down there to see the impact of any difficult weather. Glad you did it; sorry if you lost some cash, but better that than a "huge" mistake! No wonder he's selling!
                            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• Cathy F
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2012

Terry, it looks like a lovely house but pictures can be deceiving as your inspection report showed. Those are costly items that need repairing which in some cases sellers are willing to come down on price because of that but some won't and it's on your shoulders.

However it seems like there is quite a bit of maintenance/ preparation for storms and if you feel you are not capable of doing it now it will get even more difficult in the years to come.
                              .Maybe it would be to your advantage to walk away from that particular house. If your husband is still set on moving maybe there is another house in that area that is more manageable that you could both agree on.

Best of luck for whatever you both decide on.
                              Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

Working...
                              X