Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default My nightmare/ DH Pipedream

As I posted a while back, DH got it in his mind that we should retire to a coastal waterfront property. We have been to Pamlico County NC three times in 5 weeks. We have made an offer on a beautiful property and making all the plans like inspections, appraisals, loans....anyway...we wanted (me, my idea) to go there during the hurricane preparations to see what would need to be done. We went...we watched...and then we went to the property after the fact. The house had been shuttered up and everything put inside. This is ten feet off the ground...no elevator. The owner had disassembled the well pump, the pressure tank and put it in the laundry room, shutters on the front windows facing the house, all the benches from the dock unbolted and moved up the stairs to the screened in porch, all the outdoor furniture and swings moved into the living room, the small storage shed windows removed and put upstairs, all the boat supply (yup, in the house)
    I told DH I didn't know how we would be able to do this every time there was a threat . Oh yes...this means no water, no electricity until storm is over. This was suppose to be a move that will make my life easier if anything happens to him...uhhuh….
    So, on the way home he gets to thinking and says maybe we won't...my this is a roller coaster. I'm pretty much done. I always said I would follow him anywhere, but …. maybe not.... I'm pretty happy here in my mountain home.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, SallyO'Sews, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My nightmare/ DH Pipedream

That stuff does not happen on the west coast....just sayin'!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

4. Thanks grammaterry, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

After Dorian hammered the barrier islands, I would have thought he'd love the mountains even more!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks grammaterry, auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Can you get out of this offer???
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

8. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you have to think how often it really happens. I lived in Calif and was in a really bad earthquake. Then off to Hawaii and went thru two Hurricanes already. So you never know, it can happen where ever you go That was really smart you went to visit at that time. The owner sounded like he was on top of it and could teach you all he's learned living there.

Lorie

10. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Terry ~ What a time you're having about this potential move to the coast. I think you were smart to check things out during a hurricane threat. It sure doesn't sound like anything I'd want to retire to. Did your "offer" include earnest money? I think I'd rather lose the earnest $ & get out of the deal gracefully. I think I'd be sticking close to home sweet home in the mountains. A person can take fishing trips without having to move to that location. I hope you soon can be at peace with this whole ordeal.

12. Thanks grammaterry, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am praying that your husband can see this move would be harder for you--and him..it sounds like you have a wonderful home and beautiful property where you live now....and it is closer to your family...
    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

14. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh brother! Storm prep sounds like way too much work even if it's just once a year. Plus all the work putting everything back after storm is over. I hope your dh is having serious second thoughts and you can get out of the deal. Good thing you went back for another look.

16. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I canceled the septic inspection this afternoon. Told him I was going to and he didn't argue. We are out for the appraisal, and the home inspection but am certain under NC real estate that we can cancel the contract anytime during our due diligence. If you want to see pictures. on Zillow...331 Tom Bland Rd.. Bayboro, NC. Beautiful water. But we are not in any shape to lug that stuff up the stairs everytime There's a threat and then put it back. The house is okay but needs new appliances and bathroom updates. The offer we made includes the furniture and we are $10 k under the appraisal but the insurance costs are huge. I knowwe will have to sell here and his pipe dream includes keeping this. NOway we can afford to own two places. I hope he gets real by morning. Thank you all for your support.

18. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I live by myself and would have to hire out for the prep work. It sounds like you need to do a pro and con list. Can you add anything to the pro side?

Lorie

20. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post