Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My nightmare/ DH Pipedream

Water is beautiful. Views are to die for. That's major pro. Love the people I've met in bayboro.
    Cons, so far from my kids, storm prep (can't count on hiring it out as everyone will be securing their own homes) just got copy of inspection and everything needs repair, roof, HVAC,water heater, windows)
    Seems like a nightmare to me.
    Dh is still considering

2. Thanks cv quilter, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Terry ~ That sounds like too much expense to get the place fixed up. All I see are dollar signs. Based on the inspection report, you should be able to back out of the deal.

I looked up the address. Had problems with the Zillow web page, so just Googled the st. address. Oh my, I would not want to live that close to the water. I hope you can talk DH out of that deal.
    Last edited by JCY; September 8th, 2019 at 11:31 PM.

4. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh what a roller coaster ride. I'm happy that you seem to have made the decision for both. As you age, you need less hassle, not more. It sounds like your home is good for you now. If ever that time comes that you would be alone, then you can make a decision to downsize where you want to live. Maybe in a community with other seniors, and close to family.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

6. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You were so on target with making the drive down there to see the impact of any difficult weather. Glad you did it; sorry if you lost some cash, but better that than a "huge" mistake! No wonder he's selling!
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

8. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, it looks like a lovely house but pictures can be deceiving as your inspection report showed. Those are costly items that need repairing which in some cases sellers are willing to come down on price because of that but some won't and it's on your shoulders.

However it seems like there is quite a bit of maintenance/ preparation for storms and if you feel you are not capable of doing it now it will get even more difficult in the years to come.
    .Maybe it would be to your advantage to walk away from that particular house. If your husband is still set on moving maybe there is another house in that area that is more manageable that you could both agree on.

Best of luck for whatever you both decide on.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

10. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Terry, I have been thinking about you recently with Dorian battering the coast and wondering if there were any second thoughts happening. (I know they were first thoughts for you). Great idea to go see the reality part and not just the dream part. If this really is supposed to be something to make your life easier if something happens to your husband, then he had to see that with all those things that needed to be done, and then undone, this is not the place. I hope the two of you can sit down and really figure this out. ((((Hugs)))) to you as you get this sorted out.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

12. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, reading all of this this morning and hoping that DH will realize that this would not be a good move for either of you. I can't imagine having to do all that prep to save my home and property. I'm 74 and that would definitely be a hardship on me and Fred. Prayers that you and DH can come to the same decision and stay where you are for now. If you found that home, you will find another some time in the future.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

14. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We canceled the contract and the loan process this morning. Talked to the inspector and he said everything could be fixed but it was a matter of a financial decision. He said if they would knock off $$ for repair so we could have it done right it would work. He suggested we look at it like, if the house is worth $200 K and it needs $50K in update would you do it? DH said exactly!! I told him new construction makes more sense than sitting thru getting a new roof and windows even if the $$ would work out and we wouldn't be living in a house that is 25 yrs old that is constantly needing repair. I also pointed out that for the cost of the home and remodeling we could nice place, ocean front...hire a charter boat and spend a cou[ple of weeks a year on the water for the next 20 yrs. Boats are expensive to maintain too!!. He seems to understand.
    He is outside building a deer feeder and getting his bow ready to hunt tonight. I think he understands that the move would be a year of intensive home projects and he would miss out on the hunt season in the heighth of his last few years of physical ability to bow hunt. He even admitted that his eyesight isn't what it used to be.
    Eventhough we are probably amongst the healthiest of people in our 70's, we see deteriorization to our physical abilities weekly. These are the things that maybe women are more atune to than men. I've been preparing for this part of our lives mentally for the past few years. I think perhaps he is a little bit in denial about this aging process.
    Anyway, you all have been great in listening to my roller coaster of a life. I think we might settle in now. Sammy has been gone for two months now and I don't cry everytime I think of her. Still get a little lump in my throat I have to swallow back and perhaps being away from home has been a real blessing so that I could get on with my being here.
    Love you all.

16. Thanks Claire Hallman, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Blessings to you Terry.
    Kathy

18. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, I am so glad you are feeling better about Sammy. My sweet little Maggie has been gone 3 months & I still have the familiar lump in my throat as well. I am also glad you & DH are able to back out of the "new house" deal. I was thinking it was too soon to make such a big move so soon after Sammy's passing. And just for the record, we will always be here for you cos we love you too!!!

Hugs, Gina

20. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post