Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dorian to hit Atlantic Canada - to go, no go

We are having a real dilemma, to continue with our plans to travel to Atlantic Canada this weekend.

While we wait for dinner to be ready, I cracked open a bottle of red wine. We have planned this trip for so long, and looking forward to going back, but we don't want to put ourselves at risk. There are strong winds and heavy rain along all the drive to NB and PEI. They are predicting power outages. I don't think think we would enjoy it. Last time we went there was rain, but not 100mm of rain.

We will call our neighbours, who we planned the first half of our trip with. They were then going to NS, but it will hit there worst. Connie just got a call that her dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, so she wants to go as soon as possible. I think we are thinking of cancelling.

I sent a text to Monique last week, but no response. She has my cell # and we were going to make contact and possibly meet at a quilt show next Tuesday. I hope she is taking cover as there is heavy rain and strong winds predicted.

I see that Dorian is battering North Carolina and heading up the coast. What to do?

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

2. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dorian to hit Atlantic Canada - to go, no go

Suzanne, I think, though you love and enjoy your neighbor friends, you might be smarter to cancel this trip. I am a BIG believer in listening to your instinct/heart. I do understand your friend wanting/feeling they need to go, but you and your DH need to be safe.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CV Quilter. You can always do this trip another time. The main objective at this time is to stay safe.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not to be one to court danger. I'd keep an eye on the weather and if he heads out, go and enjoy. But if it looks like Dorian is coming for a real visit, cancel and go later. It's hard to relax and have fun, if you're worried about a nasty visit from Dorian.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I thought of you and Monica because I thought sounds like the storm is coming up your way. I hope everything works out for you. I know you have looked forward to it and made so many plans . Be safe!

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I used to live in Halifax for 20 odd years. I was there when hurricane Juan hit. The power outage there lasted for days , and I can tell you it is rough being there. If it were my trip I would postpone it to be safe. When Huuricane Juan hit, an ambulance was after going outside of the underground garage so he wouldn't be trapped inside if an emergency call came. Instead the driver was killed by a falling tree. Even during normal times hospital services in the Maritimes are terrible. That night in total blackness no one could see just how bad it really was when it hit. I had candles, and I saw my windows swelling in and out like something from a horror movie. Luckily they didn't shatter.
    There were no services, nothing was open, roads were littered with trees, sidewalks torn up, and with no electricity the nights were long. Take lots of candles. Keep in mind crime increases during power outages and tourists stand out. Unlike Ontario, with many roads to chose from, there's only one road going in and out of the Maritimes. It is no joke to be in the Maritimes during a hurricane.
    If you are immortal then it is an adventure to go there. Otherwise it is so very risky. You may want to invite those you plan to visit to come instead to see you before the storm hits them. Just my opinion and advice Suzanne, If you go , I wish you a safe visit.
    Last edited by minipinlady; September 6th, 2019 at 12:29 AM.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all of your friends here. But I am a fair weather traveler..... Safe travels if you decide to go at this time!!!

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Suzanne - I'm sure you are aware of this website https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html. Right now predicting Tropical cyclone. However at 2am 9/6 my weather channel said conditions now look like it's primed to become a hurricane. If your neighbor feels the need to be with family she should go - they may need her help.

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Suzanne ~ I'm one to play it safe. If you're having misgivings, stay home & adjust your plans for a later date. One time when I still was in HS -- we were living in Mich. at the time -- we had plans to drive to NY to visit relatives. Both my mom & I had uncomfortable feelings about the trip, like maybe something bad would happen. It was such a real strong feeling for both of us. We talked to my dad, thought & prayed about it. We canceled the trip. We never knew what could have happened, but we followed our gut, so to speak.

I've been watching Dorian's track & noticed it is headed for Canada. I hope Monique will check in & let us know how they are. It's no fun to be camping out in the rain & wind.

17. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Suzanne ~ Back again. Didn't have much time at 6 a.m. I've done some sleuthing re: your weather. I did a weather search for Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. (I didn't remember your exact destination.) There is a hurricane watch until Sat. night, posted by Environment Canada. Heavy rain & high winds are forecast, with the potential for storm surge & flooding. It said to monitor the Canadian Hurricane Centre.

I studied the maps for Nova Scotia, PEI, etc. I think I would not want to be in that area with a hurricane watch & possible bad weather expected.

19. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post